Considering an offer from Liberty National Life

LoneWolf29073

I've been another financial sector for some 20 years now, but that particular industry has collapsed and its time for a change.

Liberty National Life contacted me and I attended an interview with about 4 other folks I am currently set to take my Life and Health exam December 3rd.

What they say, at least up until this point, is impressive. They say they have more leads than they can handle, 5 sales a week = $81900 per year, trips, etc., the works.

For what its worth, I had some time this weekend to check them out in-depth at places like the Rip-Off Report. Again, FWIW, I was somewhat shocked at what I saw.

Former agents, managers, etc., all hurling invective. Everything from false, unrealistic promises on pay to outright lies, to fluff-ed up descriptions of 'leads', poor and unreliable management, etc.

One particular fellow complained he was told to make up names of 4 employees so as to then have the requisite 10 names for a 125 program. Another said the 'leads' he was given were of people who had never expressed an interest in speaking with an agent, but whom had requested info on $3k benefit accidental death policies. Yet another complained of payroll issues.......not being paid as agreed, arbitrary payroll deductions that then went to his manager, constant issues over payroll accuracy and integrity. One said he's sold 5 policies in a week but none by bank draft, and therefore made only $36 and spent $200 in gasoline that week.

I understand thats what you might expect from past employees or managers, but nonetheless it was disturbing, which leads me here.

I have seen some other threads here, but not so much info..........can you all give me some feedback on Liberty National Life on these issues:

Lead quality
honesty and integrity in all areas
how exactly agents commissions are both calculated and paid

etc., general issues good and bad relating to Liberty National Life.

Thanks to all in advance.

Last edited:
What they say, at least up until this point, is impressive. They say they have more leads than they can handle, 5 sales a week = $81900 per year, trips, etc., the works.

Former agents, managers, etc., all hurling invective. Everything from false, unrealistic promises on pay to outright lies, to fluff-ed up descriptions of 'leads', poor and unreliable management, etc.

One particular fellow complained he was told to make up names of 4 employees so as to then have the requisite 10 names for a 125 program. Another said the 'leads' he was given were of people who had never expressed an interest in speaking with an agent, but whom had requested info on $3k benefit accidental death policies. Yet another complained of payroll issues.......not being paid as agreed, arbitrary payroll deductions that then went to his manager, constant issues over payroll accuracy and integrity. One said he's sold 5 policies in a week but none by bank draft, and therefore made only $36 and spent $200 in gasoline that week.

Talk is cheap. I hope you're not in such a desperate situation that you'll believe anything...

Did you expect they were going to tell you that they had very limited leads, and nobody was making any money?

The recruiters/managers have an axe to grind. With any insurance "opportunity", approach it with a healthy level of skepticism.

Ask how many made $81,900 last year, and get some confirming documentation (if there were any - highly doubtful any agents made that - managers maybe).

There are tons of threads around here on libnat. Do a search. Go to ripoffreport.com and search the parent company of Torchmark as well, and AIL, UA, and libnat. There are so many other choices out there for a newby, so many better choices. Oh, and as far as commissions, they are on advance. Then, if the policy does not issue, or the client drops it, you pay back the advance. Many agents and managers have been known to get into a huge hole with this. If you have about five thousand in the bank, just in case you may need it, you may be good.

Last edited:
I have money and I have realistic expectations.

What I dont want is to find out even more what I've already been finding out.......which is to say so many of these folks are simply not truthful and they are not going to tell anyone what the skinny is until that person is a captive agent.

I've checked out NAA......thats MLM and pie in the sky stuff....there's no way in a thousand years I'd ever be convinced they're legit.

New York.........no support........they just throw agents into the wild and hope they survive. Same deal with John Hancock.

Bankers......very cryptic.........no marketing systems appear to be in place there, either.

Can anyone recommend a reputable outfit to go to work for, or am I asking too much?

I've got 20 years in a parallel field, am a published author, paid consultant, and certified expert in my field.......which, again, has totally collapsed.

Is it this hard just fo find a reputable company to work for?

What I dont want is to find out even more what I've already been finding out.......which is to say so many of these folks are simply not truthful and they are not going to tell anyone what the skinny is until that person is a captive agent.

I've checked out NAA......thats MLM and pie in the sky stuff....there's no way in a thousand years I'd ever be convinced they're legit.

New York.........no support........they just throw agents into the wild and hope they survive. Same deal with John Hancock.

Bankers......very cryptic.........no marketing systems appear to be in place there, either.

Can anyone recommend a reputable outfit to go to work for, or am I asking too much?

Yes, it is.

First and foremost, this is an entrepreneurial industry. The only one you "go to work for" is your clients, and yourself. An "employee" mentality will not be successful!

You are making some very astute observations though, and finding these things out in advance, which is good.

I wouldn't focus as much on the company, per se, as I would in finding a good reputable individual to learn the business from. They could be at any company...

I would say New York Life and Northwestern Mutual would be the only two you want to look at if you want a quality captive company.

In my area, those companies have low turnover and decent products.

I've got 20 years in a parallel field, am a published author, paid consultant, and certified expert in my field.......which, again, has totally collapsed.

NW mutual, mutual of omaha, metlife, the new england, NY life, all of these are way better than libnat. way better choices. even physicians mutual. if you have physicians mutual near you, they are good.

look, it's really up to you - and- it takes a good manager. You could have a fantastic manager anywhere and do good. Interview, and if you are getting a creepy feeling, stay away, trust your gut. libnat and UA have plenty of creepiness to go around, but I am sure there are great managers within that organization- somewhere.

The flipside is, you could go to a really great company and get a lousy manager. It could happen. But, it could happen anywhere. Think of the place you came from- I bet you knew good managers at lousy companies, and vice versa.

look, it's really up to you - and- it takes a good manager. You could have a fantastic manager anywhere and do good. Interview, and if you are getting a creepy feeling, stay away, trust your gut. libnat and UA have plenty of creepiness to go around, but I am sure there are great managers within that organization- somewhere.

The flipside is, you could go to a really great company and get a lousy manager. It could happen. But, it could happen anywhere. Think of the place you came from- I bet you knew good managers at lousy companies, and vice versa.

Word.

What are you looking for from these companies? As far as I know, ALL of them will expect you to generate your own leads. Why not become an independent agent? Be your own boss, sell deals to whatever company has the best products, build a business you own. The good health and life companies will train you in product through online sessions and even local conferences sometimes. If you are a top salesperson, you can master the sales process in 3 months of trial and error.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Insurance is not a job. It's a profession. A difficult but rewarding profession. Also - promise not to look back for 4 months. If you do, you'll probably quit after 2.

Last edited:
Back