Direct Sales of Life Insurance Increasing

agentexhorter

Expert
See the interesting commentary below on marketing life insurance.

I believe the statistics will surprise many within the life insurance industry who are thinking that direct insurance marketing is only happening in auto and home insurance.

The following are excerpts from LIDMA, Life Insurance Direct Marketing Association… Life Insurance Direct Marketing Association

Direct response selling of life insurance is the fastest growing segment of the life insurance industry today. Each year a higher percentage of overall life insurance sales can be attributed to some type of direct marketing effort.

More than $300 million in life insurance premium is initiated each year from direct response efforts and direct sales of life insurance represents as much as 10% of all policy sales on an annual basis.

The growth of the direct sales niche can largely be attributed to a void direct marketers are filling, especially with middle income earners. Statistics from the American Council of Life Insurance 2004 Fact Book reported 12,581,000 individual permanent and term life polices were purchased, virtually the identical number purchased almost 30 years before. Over the same time period there was a 38% increase in the U.S population base of 293.7 million in 2004, as compared to 212.6 million in 1975 - yet the number of policies sold remained consistent.
According to LIMRA, the Life Insurance Market Research Association, in 2004, one-third of adults in the U.S. carry no life insurance at all. Although there has been an increase in group insurance with ownership rising from 25% in 1976 to 37% in 2004, there is still a large and growing segment of the population which is not being served and life insurance direct marketers are ideally positioned to occupy this niche.
“The direct response industry has adapted to a continued change in customer behavior towards more remote, direct buying,” says Wedeking. “While there continues to be strong demand for traditional face to face advice for consumers, the growth of direct response sales in our industry shows that there is an incredible opportunity for the life insurance industry to serve the otherwise underserved middle market.”

I know what you mean. We talk the client into buying the insurance, give them a quote and a phone number to do the app over the phone and then we are finished.

Not necessarily a phone number. You fill out a one page form and submit it. A rep calls the client, takes the app over the phone and schedules the exam for you. There's a live transfer option as well.

Signatures are collected via e-sign or the examiner gets them and submits to the carrier. Quick and simple.

I think it's moving more towards "over the phone" and "over the computer", and less towards the old school face to face stuff. I am still old school -but that won't last long probably.

DM is only 10% of the market.. a market that is static..The problem is there aren't enough people doing it the old way. People aren't buying because they are not being approached. Tells me the market is wide open for folks that want to do it the old fashioned way.

Latest posts

Back