Do You Sell/quote Over Phone or Try to Get Appointment

westcoast

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
Just curious what others are doing when working w people they don't know, do you even try to get a face to face or do you try and finish it on the phone? What do your numbers look like as as % of people that will close over the phone. Some will take an appointment but it seems like a waste of time to not get what you can from over the phone. Old school would have you meeting if at all possible. No? I'm talking about straightforward term or mostly simp issue WL

You may want to ask your question in the FE forum. I think there's a few guys there that might do strictly telephone sales.

Just curious what others are doing when working w people they don't know, do you even try to get a face to face or do you try and finish it on the phone? What do your numbers look like as as % of people that will close over the phone. Some will take an appointment but it seems like a waste of time to not get what you can from over the phone. Old school would have you meeting if at all possible. No? I'm talking about straightforward term or mostly simp issue WL

Depends on your goal. Why did you call them?

If your goal is to sell over the phone then that's what you should work on.

If your goal is to set an appointment then that's what you should work on.

The product is not as important as what you are wanting to do.

If you want to do phone sales your business needs to be geared for phone sales.

What others are doing makes little difference. If they are geared for phone sales then they do phone sales, if not, then they do f2f.

I think you need to clarify you goals, market, marketing, if you want a better answer.

To pile on what JD said.

If you want to sell face to face, the phone goal of the phone call is to get the appointment. It isn't to quote or even to pre-qualify. It is to set the appointment.

If you are going to quote over the phone, don't stop there. Just go ahead and sell it over the phone too.

Note, this assumes you have a number of leads to work in the same area. If it is a one-off that is two hours from the rest of your leads, then yes you should qualify harder before making the drive.

Depends on your goal. Why did you call them?

If your goal is to sell over the phone then that's what you should work on.

If your goal is to set an appointment then that's what you should work on.

The product is not as important as what you are wanting to do.

Jd, on your last statement I'm a bit confused. If a person shows no hesitation in meeting then I meet , but when it sounds like they do know what they want I give it to them instead of risking them saying well screw it. And I just wondered what guys that can do both do here. I do sell over the phone, but prefer to meet face to face, and i have realized that you will get some done in the home that would never go over the phone . So I think I'm answering my question, and I'm realizing I need to get in the home of at all possible. Thanks guys for any additional input

I have done strictly F2F, I have done 90% phone, today I am increasing my F2F mostly out of boredom. Same reason I am buying some leads.

I do not sell as much as consult. If someone needs to be sold they probably need to be seen f2f. I am not a hard closer though. They need to want my help.

As mentioned depends on your reason for calling. If they are a lead or referral, I assume they want what they requested. If they are further away and I feel comfortable with them knowing what they want I will quote them and mail or mail the app to them. Others I get most if not all the the underwriting info and a fact find and drive out to tighten my quote as well as start our long term relationship. Some deals are just transactional, they are just buying insurance like they buy something off of Amazon. If that is what they want that is what I do.

Term or permanent is the same process for me. It is all Life Insurance. I get a fair amount of referrals. I get them quicker F2F.

There are some guys that have taken phone and online Insurance to new levels. Not just Term but health and permanent life as well. Some people will tell you X can not be sold successfully by phone unless you are a big call center. The guys doing it everyday don't know that.

Edit: Seems like the majority do it mainly one way or the other.

Last edited:
Yes I do all my sales and presentations over the phone and presentation I use screen sharing to walk them through everything. I personally think this way is great and not a big fan of the old school in person presentations. people just don't have the time or want to make time for that. people are shopping online and paying bills online and searching online sooo online is the way of the times. Hope this helped you. Have fun!

DHK pointed you to the FE forum, but in truth the most successful phone sales are done not in FE (which is nearly all SIWL ) but by Agents selling mostly term to internet shoppers. The marketing for this is either organic SEO, Adwords, or purchased leads-from someone who got it initially through organic lead gen sites.

Back