Does Aflac's Life Insurance Policy Require a Drug Test?

Jsmith35

Hey everyone! I have a few questions regarding the medical exam for a life insurance policy from Aflac. It involves marijuana use, so if you feel the need to pass judgement, please keep your comments to yourself. Thank you.

I recently found out that my mom is working on getting me life insurance through Aflac. I'm not really sure what the exact policy is, but she said something about it being around $12 a month (I'm not sure if she was guessing, or actually knew that). I'm a 23 year old male, and am currently residing in Missouri. I say that in case it helps anyone identify what I'd possibly be getting. I've heard some policies have different, or sometimes no medical exams.

She said they may contact me to come in for for a medical exam/drug test. The problem is, I'm a once daily, long term (2 years) cannabis smoker. She mentioned that the test might be around mid January, so I don't think there's enough time for me to get it all out of my system, even if I quit now. I'm worried because I honestly don't want my mother to know. I don't think she'd take it very well if she found out. She's in her 60s, and a bit old school when it comes to that subject. I love her, but I'm an adult, and I don't think it's her business whether or not I smoke marijuana. It would be best if she didn't find out.

I was wondering if anyone here had any experience with Aflac's medical exam for life insurance. What does the medical exam consist of? Do they test for THC (marijuana)? Will there even be an exam? If they do test for THC/drugs, do they use a urine, blood, hair, or mouth swab test? Depending on which test they use, I might be able to beat it.

If there is a drug test of some kind, and I fail for THC, will my plan be rejected, or will costs go up? I've heard the costs will most likely go up, similar to that of habitual tobacco users. If that's true, I would be okay with it, as long as there was confidentiality between me, Aflac, and the doctor.

I know my mother is the one paying for it, but since I'm legally an adult, wouldn't I be able to keep the test confidential? If I fail, is it possible that they would automatically contact her, and tell her I tested positive for THC? If they don't automatically tell her, would she still be able to call and inquire what specifically caused my rates to go up?

I know there are a lot of specific questions, and it's a weird situation, but if anyone has any information, I'd appreciate it. I'm really close with my mom, but we don't share the same opinions on cannabis use. That's a talk for another day. I know I'm a "grown ass man now, and shouldn't care," but I would just rather her not think less of me at this point in my life.

A "grown ass man" buys his own insurance.

More importantly, that same "grown ass man" gives full disclosure on the application before even applying so that the insurance, should it be needed while it is in-force, won't have any issues for conflicting information.

Yes, if a medical exam is required, your blood will be evaluated for tobacco use. I have *heard* that marijuana use is evaluated differently, but don't count on it.

Due to HIPAA laws, results of the medical exam are only shared with you.

I recommend that you talk to your agent and ask these questions. Also keep in mind that no one can buy life insurance on you without your consent, authorization, and signature.

Every company handles it differently.

First, being the father of three grown ass men 19-32 I agree with DHK. And you do not ask a question and dictate the answers or opinions. Unless you live far from your mother she probably knows anyway. But that aside, I would talk to an AFLAC agent to see how they deal with it. At a minimum you will probably be rated as a smoker for doing weed. Some companies rate depending on if you are a recreational user 1-2 times a week or a "chronic" user. There are several options other than AFLAC which may be better anyway.

Do not lie to the agent, If you die during the contestability period your mother could be left expecting something that may not come. Weed is not the big deal it once was many companies understand that. The fact that it is still an illigal drug creates more of an issue with them than the health risk.

I feel like I need to clarify a few things. First of all, I didn't seek out life insurance. That's the entire dilemma. It just fell in my lap. If you want to criticize me for that, go ahead, but this "grown ass man" didn't want life insurance right now. I didn't ask my mother to do it for me, because I'm incapable.

That's another thing. This "grown ass man" comment seems to have stuck with you guys. While it's true I'm legally an adult, I wasn't the one calling myself that. I was quoting an imaginary, hypothetical post I expected I might get. "Who cares what your mom thinks, you're a grown ass man." I didn't self-appoint myself with that title. I see it in questions like this all the time. Some judgemental jerk will come in and spout off nonsense like that.

Also, I'm not really looking for snide remarks here about what I choose to do in my life. I simply came to you guys for a few questions, because I thought it would be helpful. It's not even like I'm being lectured. It skipped that stage, and went straight to ridicule. Look, you don't know me, and I don't know you. Don't make assumptions that I'm some "lazy stoner" who sits on his butt all day. Some people like to have a glass of wine at the end of their day. I personally prefer to use cannabis.

I feel like I need to clarify a few things. First of all, I didn't seek out life insurance. That's the entire dilemma. It just fell in my lap. If you want to criticize me for that, go ahead, but this "grown ass man" didn't want life insurance right now. I didn't ask my mother to do it for me, because I'm incapable.

That's another thing. This "grown ass man" comment seems to have stuck with you guys. While it's true I'm legally an adult, I wasn't the one calling myself that. I was quoting an imaginary, hypothetical post I expected I might get. "Who cares what your mom thinks, you're a grown ass man." I didn't self-appoint myself with that title. I see it in questions like this all the time. Some judgemental jerk will come in and spout off nonsense like that.

Also, I'm not really looking for snide remarks here about what I choose to do in my life. I simply came to you guys for a few questions, because I thought it would be helpful. It's not even like I'm being lectured. It skipped that stage, and went straight to ridicule. Look, you don't know me, and I don't know you. Don't make assumptions that I'm some "lazy stoner" who sits on his butt all day. Some people like to have a glass of wine at the end of their day. I personally prefer to use cannabis.

No one ridiculed you.... I think the weed is making you paranoid.

Do you honestly think with a post like that nobody was going to say anything? Legal, illegal, "I'm a big boy and I can do what I want don't judge me " aside, pot is bad for you and insurance companies want to know when you engage in something that is bad for you. I would seek out coverage from someone other than AFLAC. Your mom could buy and own a cheap term policy on you. I know there was some guy online who was targeting potheads so you might want to do a google search and talk to him.

"I highly doubt he has an agent..... unless his dealer doubles as a primerica agent."

"I think the weed is making you paranoid."

"pot is bad for you"

"'I'm a big boy and I can do what I want don't judge me'"

I think you might want to recheck the definition of ridicule, buddy.

Then be a grown-ass man and tell your mother no.

Unless she will be the one stuck planting your dead ass. Or forbid you have a wife or kids. Otherwise You are grown, tell her no or tell her the truth so she can find a doper friendly policy. We come across this all the time not that big a deal.

Probably a good thing agents are not routinely piss tested. :D

----------

Talk to the agent and find out what the most he can write you "non med" that way there are no labs and mom can have a peace of mind that here son is taken care of.

"I highly doubt he has an agent..... unless his dealer doubles as a primerica agent."

"I think the weed is making you paranoid."

"pot is bad for you"

"'I'm a big boy and I can do what I want don't judge me'"

I think you might want to recheck the definition of ridicule, buddy.

The first one was a damn funny joke.
The second one was an observation cum theory.
The third one is a fact. Especially when using frequently.
The fourth one was me trying to...... oh whatever.

Life Insurance for Marijuana Smokers

Chris is a good guy. I would give him a call. And maybe smoke the old school weed that chills people out instead of whatever you're smoking now........lol.

When I worked with Aflac (9 years ago), it was a non-med policy. (which means they did not do a medical exam)
At least in a group setting that was the case.

If your mom is telling you that there is an exam I would verify that she verified that with the agent.

The majority of companies treat a positive for THC as a tobacco user. A few do not.

Technically the Owner of the policy (your mom), would not be able to know what medical condition caused a higher rate unless it was tobacco and they put you at the smoker rate. But technically she should not have access to any of your medical test results. Notice I say technically because in the real world sh$t can happen and mistakes can be made. But usually no, she would not have access to the test results due to HIPPA laws. (assuming that Aflac and specifically the agent follows them)

As to the type of test it would most likely be a mouth swab. If not then it would be a piss test or blood test. Usually the urine or swab is used for tobacco/drugs and blood is ran as just a normal lab workup like at the doctor.

And yes, if you do the exam you can have the results sent to you. Sometimes they do it automatically.

I dont think that pot is bad for you except that it makes a lot of people lazy and complacent.... of course that can be the enjoyable part of it too... lol. Alcohol has killed more people than pot ever has and ever will.

Normally I would suggest you look at a different company. But since you are not the one paying for it then it really isnt your choice. But Aflac life insurance is a crappy product and there are much better choices out there, especially for a pot smoker.

Last edited:
Back