Dont Understand Life Insurance Jobs

This is going to surprise everyone here, but there are actually salaried jobs to sell life insurance. I will agree it is just about as rare as the do-do bird, but they do exist!

I have an agency who pays everyone a salary, I have 5 reps in that office who sell life insurance as at least 50% of their production. They do get an arbitrary bonus quarterly, but as they say the bonus is really more about effort than production quotas.

The guy who owns the agency says he wants people to know they have a home to go to even after a bad day/week/month and he doesn't want them making sales for the wrong reason (He wants them to sell clients what the client needs to buy, not what the agent needs to sell). Personally I don't agree with this logic 100%. It sounds nice but ultimately I think their agents often cop out and sell the "easy" product (term) instead of spending time sharing with the client why they should put $10,000 a year towards this insurance plan.

This is a 4th generation agency and they can afford this luxury. I work with several hundred other agents and this is the only "salary" situation I am aware of, but it does exist.

There are always exceptions to most rules. Is this agency staffed with mostly family by any chance?

Didnt Met offer some type of a 3 month salary to start at one point? Or was it a draw?

Met offers a salary for something like 19 weeks to start.

Last edited:
If you have a tough time staying motivated and making calls to get appointments, then working for someone that has an office and puts pressure on you to work it, is sometimes more profitable. Some agents can't pick up that phone and stay on it long enough to set some appts and close sales for the week.

If you have a tough time staying motivated and making calls to get appointments, then working for someone that has an office and puts pressure on you to work it, is sometimes more profitable. Some agents can't pick up that phone and stay on it long enough to set some appts and close sales for the week.

Tell your wife you won't be able to pay the mortgage if you don't have 15 appointments this week.....Then your wife can be that person putting the pressure on you....On the plus side if you hit your appointment goals you might work a bj into it.

Hahaha!!! I am the wife! I'm a broker, but I just help him here and there. That's great advice for getting him to get those appointments made though. I'm going to start pressuring him with reasons why he needs to get 15 appts a week. But, I think he will work even harder for the second "incentive" you posted. I have never pressured him enough. No more "rewards" without achieving daily appointment goals from now on!! That will get him and keep him going.... Best advise ever! Thanks!

----------

Last edited:
Tell your wife you won't be able to pay the mortgage if you don't have 15 appointments this week.....Then your wife can be that person putting the pressure on you....On the plus side if you hit your appointment goals you might work a bj into it.

Negotiating bjs.

Is this really what marriage life is like? No thank you.

I would suggest you switch over to being an independent agent if you are not one already. It gives you a chance to be appointed with different providers which allows you to be able to bring the best for the clients as you are able to bring them the best of the best, not just in med advantage but in life, health, retirement planning, college planning, and final expense planning. All in all, you can entirely help your clients with the whole financial spectrum, and you sleep well at night knowing you services them correctly. However that is if you find yourself a good mentor that is diversify in all areas and able to train you.

DHK
Ouch! Your opinion of his comment here was a bit negatively exaggerated . Although , I do agree with you on your points of working as a captive agent, for the many benefits and training it provides you. I also agree with his "theory" of having many options to help fit your clients exact needs and budget, by being independent. I have been captive with companies before that had horrible products and ethics, and I couldn't sleep at night knowing I did my client wrong, so I quit. But going independent is for seasoned agents and brokers. For newbies, I would never attempt to go independent. If a new life agent or even if someone has had their license for a year or so, goes independent, it's over! Independent means alone! No support, no training, no leads, no motivational pep talks. You are basically left to figure it out all by your overwhelmed self (if your lucky, maybe your FMO will you help here and) you will be alone and lost in a vast financial and insurance jungle . And at the end of the year, the captive agent pulled in a nice income for himself and family, but the new independent agent didn't earn diddly squat! I'm new to this website and forum, and was slightly surprised by the harsh comments of some. But, that's ok by me. Just don't blast me in a comment. Be nice, or else!

----------

----------

I'm new to this website and forum and my comments are ending up in all the wrong places. I guess I better go read the "instructions".

Back