Door to door - Flyers for life insurance

loginname

Expert
I'm looking to ramp up my life insurance production. We recently moved to a new suburb so I don't have much of a warm market. When the weather warms up a little I was thinking of walking my new neighborhoods and going door to door with a flyer. The flyer would contain a short bio about myself, an introduction to my agency, and an offer for a life insurance review.

I think I'll feel cheesy knocking on people's doors and handing them the flyer with a short "How are you? My name is George and I'm a new life insurance agent in town". The second alternative would be to just stick them in the door.

Do you think this is a positive way to get my name out in the community? What advice do you have?

The flyer would contain a short bio about myself, an introduction to my agency, and an offer for a life insurance review.

Do you think this is a positive way to get my name out in the community? What advice do you have?

This approach is a great cure for insomnia. Most people would rather go for a root canal.

Instead, offer a free report...something like "Top 5 Mistakes People Make When Buying Life Insurance".

"Getting your name out in the community" is worthless. "Image" type advertising is for the McDonalds, IBMs and State Farms of the world who have a boatload of money to spend.

Good luck!

I've put out thousands of door hangers. Door hangers are better than flyers because they're cheaper: Door Hangers - Printing - DoorHangers.com - $300 for 10,000 or 3 cents a pop.

Plus they don't blow off the doors like flyers which trigger "come get your **** off my lawn" phone calls.

I've only done it for health with a consistent .05% response. I only work townhouse areas since I can slap up 200 per hour. 2 hours a day is 2,000 per week and around 10 leads. I always closed 1 out of 10 so it was an extra deal per week.

I hate to say it but I think the return for life insurance would be lower.

local newspaper insert

I know agents who have consistently used this for years. They post a grid (like all of us have seen) with rates by age & band. Must comply, blah, blah, blah . . .

The key word here is consistent.

You won't get anything off a 1 shot deal. It may take a few months for it to catch on. You don't need a big ad, but one that is the same each week. Business card size (or larger) works.

Weekly's seem to do well. The paper tends to hang around the home a bit longer.

If you are going to do this, pick up some papers & look for the ads. The ones you see week after week must be working.

I know agents who have consistently used this for years. They post a grid (like all of us have seen) with rates by age & band. Must comply, blah, blah, blah . . .

The key word here is consistent.

You won't get anything off a 1 shot deal. It may take a few months for it to catch on. You don't need a big ad, but one that is the same each week. Business card size (or larger) works.

Weekly's seem to do well. The paper tends to hang around the home a bit longer.

If you are going to do this, pick up some papers & look for the ads. The ones you see week after week must be working.

He is referring to placing a "Flyer" within the paper, very cheap cost per thousand. You pay for the flyers and deliver them to the paper and they simply insert it within the fold of the paper. Many Chiropractors to this around here and, I believe they also do it down in Houston, just one type of insert I often find in papers. I like it, even though I think the older segments are the ones that actually read papers, so I think it works better for senior products as "Final Expense" or Supplements.

You know, actually, one of the ways to determine whether marketing is working or not is to watch what others are doing. I've seen financial advisors, health insurance agents (yep, with that compliance-approved ad) post in even the throwaway newspapers (that people actually do read) and they last a couple (max 4) weeks, and then they're done. Finished. Finito. Zip. Zero. Nada. What does this tell you? It didn't work. If people are willing to spend oodles and oodles of money, persistently, for an extended period of time, yes, it may be working. Otherwise you're just chalking it up to "image advertising". Best of success in your pursuits, though!

I've put out thousands of door hangers. Door hangers are better than flyers because they're cheaper: Door Hangers - Printing - DoorHangers.com - $300 for 10,000 or 3 cents a pop.

Plus they don't blow off the doors like flyers which trigger "come get your **** off my lawn" phone calls.

I've only done it for health with a consistent .05% response. I only work townhouse areas since I can slap up 200 per hour. 2 hours a day is 2,000 per week and around 10 leads. I always closed 1 out of 10 so it was an extra deal per week.

I hate to say it but I think the return for life insurance would be lower.

I would say that actually knocking on the door and introducing yourself increases your odds tremendously.

The first time I doorknocked, I had beginners luck but the very first door I knocked on I made an appointment to come back 3-days later. That appointment resulted in leaving the house with a check for over $10,000 (single-pay final expense policy.)

The 7th house I knocked on had the exact same results but with a much larger multi-pay policy.

I rarely doorknock anymore as I stay too busy but when I do, I am invited in the home at least every fourth or fifth home that answers the door. I don't think just leaving a doorhanger is taking full advantage of your time.

No argument there. I ran a door to door outfit in 6 states with the gas/electric deregulation. We certainly didn't leave flyers on doors. It was 10am to 8pm of knocking on doors and we had many reps making over $2,000 a week.

I have to admit I never done Res Door Knocking but, it is amazing what happens when in a People's business, you actually talk to People!

Latest posts

Back