Door to Door Going Away

Yeah, but with you they only answer the door because you're a funny little chimpanzee. Do they offer you a banana when they let you in? :twitchy:

Whatever it takes to get in the door. Yes, but I don't like bananas, so I don't take them

At least I don't wear an Easter Bunny suit when I door knock.:laugh:

Many years ago, I spent a full year going door-to-door, daily. (Not insurance, but an "intangible." It's tougher now, without a doubt. Two-income households, general distrust...this list could be long. But it can still work, and a critical tool is a disarming opening line when the door opens. Some of my successful ones, used based on a quick read of the face that opened the door:

(MUST be accompanied by friendly smile and some laughter)

- For whatever it's worth, I'm no happier to be here than you are to see me...but could I possibly chat with you for a quick minute?
- Thank you. I'm always pleasantly surprised when someone like you opens the door to talk to me. Now that you have...
- I wish I could tell you I'm from Publisher's Clearinghouse...but no such luck...I do have a cool idea that could ______________.

It didn't always work, but the alternative of launching a sales pitch with a total stranger really doesn't work a high percentage of the time.

Of course, those who lead with their chin, had better lead with an opening question that includes a compelling benefit (variations of the GEICO Tactic)... Would it be worth a few minutes to see if you could save 15% or more on your auto insurance.)

Many years ago, I spent a full year going door-to-door, daily. (Not insurance, but an "intangible." It's tougher now, without a doubt. Two-income households, general distrust...this list could be long. But it can still work, and a critical tool is a disarming opening line when the door opens. Some of my successful ones, used based on a quick read of the face that opened the door:

(MUST be accompanied by friendly smile and some laughter)

- For whatever it's worth, I'm no happier to be here than you are to see me...but could I possibly chat with you for a quick minute?
- Thank you. I'm always pleasantly surprised when someone like you opens the door to talk to me. Now that you have...
- I wish I could tell you I'm from Publisher's Clearinghouse...but no such luck...I do have a cool idea that could ______________.

It didn't always work, but the alternative of launching a sales pitch with a total stranger really doesn't work a high percentage of the time.

Of course, those who lead with their chin, had better lead with an opening question that includes a compelling benefit (variations of the GEICO Tactic)... Would it be worth a few minutes to see if you could save 15% or more on your auto insurance.)

Personally, I always enjoyed using the "dropping-by" opener when I was at the door.

"Hey I was just at your neighbor's (insert neighbors name) house discussing their insurance policies. Do you have a minute to look at yours?"

Something along those lines - almost making it sound like a referral because you were just knocking on their neighbors door a few minutes ago. This also worked well if you had an actual appointment with one of the neighbors v. canvassing.

I don't see door knocking going anywhere anytime soon - I still know many agents who do quite well for themselves door knocking.

In case anyone missed my massive door knocking guide, you can read it here - The Complete Guide to Door-to-Door Cold Knocking - Lead Heroes :)

Back