Door to Door Sales

tyteeye510

Expert
Has anyone here tried door to door selling life insurance?
I imagine the success ratio is very low but if I am able to close 1 or 2 sales during a 8 to 10 hour shift, it would be worth it for me.
What kind if line should I use. Please help.

I am no veteran but why not buy leads in the area you want to go door to door in and only approach the repliers? I would think you would be more successful that way. Cold calling would also be a much better option you can reach way more people in 8 hours.

What kind of doors? Residential or Business?

Residential - check with your city if any permits are required.

Business - no permits are necessary.

If you're going to go to businesses, search the forum for the 5-ways out of business to get the attention of the business owner. Just make sure that you know how you and your firm can solve the 5-ways.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Actually, never mind. The 5-ways approach is NOT for the new person - especially if you're not going full-time during the day.

You'd need a company that can actually support business sales.

While I'd normally recommend learning the 5-ways... I'd suggest you skip it until you can do this during the week.

Last edited:
If you're new, I would definately recommend door to door sales rather than buying leads. This coming from someone who has wasted alot of money on ripoff internet leads. Here's an idea, white page out a neighborhood and take note of the residents's names and ages. Knock on the door, introduce yourself, and say, "Mr. X, I am so and so with such and such insurace company, and I received an email yesterday that you were inquiring about life insurance". When they look confused or put you off, just apologize for "the misunderstanding". You'll be amazed at the number of times in which they just happened to be looking for life insurance. As far as city permits go, I would not worry much about it. I know that most cities require official permits for solicitation, but I've been doing the door knock approach for 5 years and have never run into any problems. If someone runs you out of an apartment complex, just apologize and go on.

A friend of mine used to go to the water department and get a list of people that were new customers in the area. He would take a welcoming gift to them and introduce himself and welcome them to the neighborhood, then he would say "Since you are new here, I would like to be your new insurance agent."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
When I was new to insurance selling, another friend of mine told me to expect rejection and to accept it as part of the selling process, he then related a story about something that happened to him, he was in a neighborhood selling insurance, and a guy told him to leave and get away, then he said, I thought I told you to leave, he broke the arial off of a car and chased him down the street ha ha.

Last edited by a moderator:
door to door can certainly work, i've had several big weeks doing it... for me it always seemed to be about 20 face to face calls to get in and make a sale.

I recommend getting a names list, so you at least have the name when you get to the door. we usually told them we following up on a card that had been mailed to them (and even if you didn't mail to them, trust me, someone mailed to them recently), and that you were stopping by to follow up. of course i thought it worked better with a list that you actually had just mailed, and take one of the fliers with you so they'll have a recollection of what they received.

once you make a sell or two, ask them for permission to mention to other people that you helped them out, and there's your center of influence

Early in my career I learned door to door prospecting because I didn't know what else to do!

I simply knock on the door and depending on the persons age explain that I am here handing out information to folks on our Family/or Burial life insurance programs , let them know a few key points and ask if that is something that they are interested in.

If no one is home I leave a flyer. Go try this for 2 days and I bet that you will be asking about other prospecting methods. Door to door is hard work, but you can learn a lot from doing it.

I still go door to door every day that I am in the field , but only to my appointment's three closest neighbors.

It does work starting off with a survey and a huge smile. I'm doing it more and more b/c I can stay in the same areas I like.

It didn't work however when I said I am a life agent right off the bat..go figure! lol

Back