First Life Insurance Client

sbg_ben

Super Genius
Hi every one,

I am an agent that works for a company that primarily specializes in employee benefits. I am looking to start doing some individual life insurance and wondering if any one had some good stories about how they got their first life insurance client or made their first insurance sale of any kind.

Thanks,
Ben :)

We've provided infrastructure for new sales people. First key is organizing your contact data into a system some call "circles."
1. Immediate family / close relatives
2. Close friends... happy to let you practice on them, if nothing else.
3. Friends...might be willing to talk to you, if you have a non-threatening reason for the meeting.
4. Acquaintances...know you well enough they won't be surprised to hear from you.
5. Connected, but barely: Same organization, civic roles, etc.

In all cases, consider both the possibility of discussing product and the possibility of securing referrals (whether or not product is likely).

And adopt a practice that is surprisingly rare in the insurance field: when you make that first sale, and the second and the third... Welcome/appreciate your new client and follow-up soon thereafter with a contact that shows you care about the long-term relationship, not just successful collection of a check.

It's the treatment of existing clients that's the difference between a career as an eternal peddler and a career of service to people who you serve as a trusted advisor.

Last edited:
Asking is probably a good start... lol

I appreciate both of your replies they definitely give me something to think about. I am getting some life insurance training next week that will hopefully give me some better knowledge of the product. I am not out there selling it yet because I don't really understand it well enough to do that yet.

Back