Got a 49 Year Old, 345lb 5'11" Male Doctor with No Life Insurance

sydney1108

I have a physician, male, 49 years old, 345lbs, 5'11", with no life insurance. His wife 47, also has none. Income around $200K. Agrees that he needs at least $800k in coverage. I have been selling Medicare and health for five years not much life? What direction would you go to meet his needs? Which companies? Which Plans?

Re: Got a 49 Year Old, 345lb 5'11" Male Doctor with No Life Insur

Other than he will be rated for weight, any life insurance company will do. My question is how was 800k determined? That is only 4 times his income. At his age most any company would insure him for 15 to 20 times his income. My question to your prospect would be "with your existing assets, liabilities, and cash flow, how much of your annual income do you WANT (not NEED) to provide for your family and for how long?

The type of policy is dependent on what other objectives you're trying to accomplish and the available premium. Are you taking premium from cash flow or are you helping him find the premium through other financial adjustments? The right amount of coverage comes first, the type of coverage comes second.

You also might want to consider bringing in an experienced life agent and split the case. Good luck

Last edited:

You also might want to consider bringing in an experienced life agent and split the case. Good luck

Do this, and both you and the doctor will benefit.

With his weight and age, if he doesn't already have other health problems, he will. Being a doctor, he knows this even if he won't admit it. You need to sell him as much convertible term as you can get the company to issue, with a disability waiver if you can. Use multiple companies if necessary to get the maximum death benefit you can. Then have the senior agent do the conversion talk now.

Odds are, his health will deteriorate to the point he will be uninsurable but still working. Then you and the other agent can slowly start converting him over to some type of permanent insurance.

You should also review his group disability. There is no way he'd get individual DI worth buying right now, so make sure he has the best group policy you can get for him.

I have a physician, male, 49 years old, 345lbs, 5'11", with no life insurance. His wife 47, also has none. Income around $200K. Agrees that he needs at least $800k in coverage. I have been selling Medicare and health for five years not much life? What direction would you go to meet his needs? Which companies? Which Plans?

If he is in good health otherwise, West Coast Life kills the competition on weight. I just had a similar case that was a table 2-3 with the other carriers and standard at WCL.

You will want to submit this to more than one carrier for sure. American General has reduced tables, and someone that I can't think of at the moment(Pru?) has a table shaving program in place now.

I can be pretty confident this guy has other medical issues. Had a similar case with a doctor, taller but same weight, WC and Pru looked at him, had an abnormal EKG, they required a cardio workup, decline.
Being 49, and if he has been carrying this much weight for many years, if he can get an offer he better jump on it. Get a completed non med or full exam and let a broker shop around. Cases like this rarely come without surprises.

If he is in good health otherwise, West Coast Life kills the competition on weight. I just had a similar case that was a table 2-3 with the other carriers and standard at WCL.

You will want to submit this to more than one carrier for sure. American General has reduced tables, and someone that I can't think of at the moment(Pru?) has a table shaving program in place now.

West Coast Life is table G to 347lbs

With his weight alone, West Coast would be a Table F.

Genworth seems to be the most lenient on height/weight these days.

I didn't say that he would be standard, just that they wcl is more liberal on weight.

Just placed a man with them that was 6'3 and weighs 355 lbs. and he was rated standard.

I placed a young lady that was 5'4" 220 lbs. years ago and she was preferred Plus.

The suggestion was made based off of empirical data, the underwriter has the final say regarding the weight requirement.

I'm not on here trying to argue, most of you don't know your heads from your asses anyway. This was a freebie on me.

Last edited:

I didn't say that he would be standard, just that they wcl is more liberal on weight.

Just placed a man with them that was 6'3 and weighs 355 lbs. and he was rated standard.

I placed a young lady that was 5'4" 220 lbs. years ago and she was preferred Plus.

The suggestion was made based off of empirical data, they underwriter has the final say regarding the weight requirement.

I'm not on here trying to argue, most of you don't know your heads from your asses anyway. This was a freebie on me.

care to enlighten how you got a table E d/t build to standard? 6'3" 355lbs is table E on their stated build charts. not arguing or calling you a liar--just want to see your methods of swaying 5 ratings shaved. Not to mention 5'4" 220 is table B, you are getting 5 better classes on her as well.

Back