Has anyone Had this Happen?

I had the labs traced and they led back to the applicant so it was not someone else's urine. The company will not allow another test and since he did not admit to tobacco use at the time of application they will not issue him as a nonsmoker if he admits to using another form of tobacco other than cigarettes now.

He has 2 options--he can go to his doctor and get a letter stating he doesn't use tobacco and be retested and another carrier may make a no-tobacco offer, but no guarantees since the MIB code states positive nicotine or he can wait 12 months and try again.

----------

Do they live with or work around a smoker?

He has already told me that almost everyone at his place of employment smokes and he is wondering if that is the reason he tested positive. Still can't convince the company it came from second hand smoke.

He has already told me that almost everyone at his place of employment smokes and he is wondering if that is the reason he tested positive. Still can't convince the company it came from second hand smoke.

I've heard of that happening once before.

The sad reality is, if that is enough to show up in his blood, then he might as well be a smoker. His blood is full of the chemicals so the risk to his health is the same.

I don't recall what happened in the one I heard of. It was from someone else in the office and had happened a few months before I joined. She worked in an office where everyone else was a chain smoker.

Also, don't most states have laws against smoking in a workplace now?

I've heard of that happening once before.

The sad reality is, if that is enough to show up in his blood, then he might as well be a smoker. His blood is full of the chemicals so the risk to his health is the same.

I don't recall what happened in the one I heard of. It was from someone else in the office and had happened a few months before I joined. She worked in an office where everyone else was a chain smoker.

Also, don't most states have laws against smoking in a workplace now?
I was a heavy smoker but my wife has never smoked but for years every time she went to a Dr. they would tell her she should quit smoking. She tested positive for nicotine so some looked at her as they didn't quite believe her. The funny thing was those same Dr's. never once told me I should quit until after I had my first series of Heart attacks.

I think I overlooked this part... but was he DECLINED for coverage? Your post didn't say.

If there was that much tobacco in the blood/urine due to being around co-workers or whatever, I'd advise him to take the contract and you can get it re-evaluated after 12 months of the policy in-force.

Whatever the difference is in premium is probably a small price to pay to have the coverage in-force in the first place and taking the original 'smoker' rate.

----------

As John Savage would say "Suit up! You're starting!"

He also (jokingly) said this regarding rated cases: "You pay more, we pay quicker!"

----------

Another thought COULD be - because the applicant is out of state for you - that the applicant was lying to you and went with you thinking that, since you're out of state, you couldn't verify that he's a smoker?

Just a thought.

I was a heavy smoker but my wife has never smoked but for years every time she went to a Dr. they would tell her she should quit smoking. She tested positive for nicotine so some looked at her as they didn't quite believe her. The funny thing was those same Dr's. never once told me I should quit until after I had my first series of Heart attacks.

How sad no one told you to quit, although would it have mattered?

Blood work says this guy is a smoker, whether he is the one actually puffing on the cigarettes or not. He should take what he can get and find a new workplace, they are literally killing him.

My experience is that your client is not telling the truth. But if you are hoping for something else, some foods and some health conditions can give a false positive. Dont laugh for some people too much brocoli causes a false positive. There are more false positives with vegeterians. Yes go back to doctor but you have to do extensive testing to identify cause or let him get a smoker policy.

I just spoke with the applicant and he sticks with his story. Won't accept a tobacco rate. Said he was going to apply elsewhere, but I told him any carrier would check the MIB. Made threats of legal action and I told him that was a waste of time since I nor the company has done anything wrong. Win some lose some.

How sad no one told you to quit, although would it have mattered?

Blood work says this guy is a smoker, whether he is the one actually puffing on the cigarettes or not. He should take what he can get and find a new workplace, they are literally killing him.

No.. I would not have listened. I had no intention of quitting after I had my bypass surgery but for some reason I never did pick them back up after I got home from the hospital. I was on oxygen and I think I got it in my head that if I didn't quit smoking, I would have to lug that bottle round for the rest of my life and I did not want to do that. It has been 11 years now and I still wnt one occasionally but it passes quickly. As for the O2, I have just started having to use it with a CPAP at night but still have good levels without it in the daytime.

Back