Has anyone Had this Happen?

I've written almost $1 mil ap in term. I was a top 15 agent with NAA when doing MP. As for the questions on previous apps, I've had those too. I chose to not continue to do business with companies that pull that crap.

I fully understand how the MIB stuff works. I'm not sure that you do.

As I said, my bet is that he gets covered as a non smoker. What are you willing to wager on it?:biggrin:

I'm not saying you are wrong, but you still have to deal with the MIB hit. They aren't supposed to decline over it, but they definitely can ask for clarification and decline over that. Or in this case charge a tobacco rate.

I'm not saying you are wrong, but you still have to deal with the MIB hit. They aren't supposed to decline over it, but they definitely can ask for clarification and decline over that. Or in this case charge a tobacco rate.

I understand that. And my bet is still that he will be approved as a non smoker.

Exactly what do you think the MIB hit is? Are you saying there is a code that lets other companies know the person was rated a smoker?

I understand that. And my bet is still that he will be approved as a non smoker.

Exactly what do you think the MIB hit is? Are you saying there is a code that lets other companies know the person was rated a smoker?

I know the exact codes are a trade secret, however isn't there a code for other than applied? I am pretty sure there is one for not taken as I have seen that come up several times. Follow up questions from underwriting about past applications and why the coverage was taken.

Some explanation is going to be required, which may rise to material misrepresentation or even fraud. Particularly if the OP is involved in the non-tobacco policy with disclosing what happened on the original application.

So again, not doubting you in the slightest. However, most likely someone lied to get a non-tobacco policy for this guy.

I know the exact codes are a trade secret, however isn't there a code for other than applied? I am pretty sure there is one for not taken as I have seen that come up several times. Follow up questions from underwriting about past applications and why the coverage was taken.

Some explanation is going to be required, which may rise to material misrepresentation or even fraud. Particularly if the OP is involved in the non-tobacco policy with disclosing what happened on the original application.

So again, not doubting you in the slightest. However, most likely someone lied to get a non-tobacco policy for this guy.

OK, I'm going on the premise that he actually doesn't smoke and there is an error with the previous company. If he actually smokes then no, I won't win the bet.

I actually had this happen once. Lady took the exam and it came back tobacco and they offered her tobacco rates. She would not accept, maintained that it was wrong. The company wouldn't retest, wouldn't take a letter from a doctor, etc. No way they were wrong.

Wrote her elsewhere, new exam, {by the same exam company, btw}, and she was approved non tobacco.

But I knew this lady was telling the truth. I had known her for 30 years. I dated her daughter back when we were teenagers. I kept telling the first company that but they just laughed at my being "fooled" by the lady.

Billyb. three things, One: he may not be telling the truth or he is around a smoker for a large period of time, Second: you have to wait at least 6 month, undesrtanding he is not an smoker, and retake the lab, the condition will show different results or Third: You can rate him as an smoker and write the policy as an smoker, it will be expensive, but in 6 month you make him to retake the lab and rerate him, and push down the price. if he is not lying.

BUT, the lab with the blood test can tell with presicion, how deep was the puffing of a cigarrete he was taking at a time. so ???

I am currently rewriting a client I wrote a 30 jnl policy years ago. Going through the file I see she was issued Std smoking. We fought it and she wound up getting Prd NT. In this case JNL paid for the redo on the urine test.

The following is from MIB's response to an AMR: Note that while they deny they keep records of sexual preference, etc. they do not deny reporting tobacco status and the other things AMR reports... In fact they expressly say they report personal information that significantly affect mortality such as driving records. (underlining is mine for emphasis)

AMR says:
“In addition to an individual’s credit history, data collected by the Medical Information Bureau (MIB) may include medical conditions, driving records, criminal activity, tobacco usage, alcoholism, drug addiction, participation in hazardous sports, sexual deviance, homosexuality, effeminate mannerisms, women’s questionable moral character, and personal or family genetic history, among other facts. Under questioning by a Senate Banking Committee, MIB’s former executive director and general counsel, Joseph C. Wilberding, revealed that the “other” category in MIB files has included information on “sexual deviation” (i.e., homosexuality, effeminate behaviors, bachelorhood, HIV acquisition, and a woman’s questionable “moral character” for giving birth out of wedlock), drug addiction, alcoholism and such hazardous hobbies as auto racing and flying....”

Despite AMR’s claims on its website, MIB does not have the following information in its database in the form of MIB codes or otherwise
:

Information on “sexual deviation (i.e., homosexuality, effeminate behaviors, bachelorhood, HIV acquisition, and a woman’s questionable “moral character” for giving birth out of wedlock)”;

An individual’s credit history (other than a code signifying a recent bankruptcy
); or

Genetic test results
MIB’s members agree to share information of underwriting significance in the form of medical and avocation "codes,” which are a simple form of encryption to protect the confidentiality of an individual’s medical condition. Members report information to MIB using these proprietary and highly confidential codes to signify different medical conditions and other conditions (i.e., dangerous hobbie s and adverse driving records ) affecting the insurability of the proposed insured. These are conditions that have a significant impact on mortality (likelihood of death) or morbidity (likelihood of illness) and are reported under broad categories of medic al histories or conditions. Medical records such as examination reports, attending physician statements, lab test results, x-rays, underwriting files and reasons for denial are not stored or maintained in MIB’s database.

Back