Help with an APS

irish1098

Expert
Am I at the mercy of the insurer and EMSI when an APS is ordered with regard to time? I am writing a simple non-med term that an APS was ordered on and I am looking for ways to speed up the process ie I had my client call his Dr and tell him the check and APS request were coming. Is there anything else I can do to speed it up?

Am I at the mercy of the insurer and EMSI when an APS is ordered with regard to time? I am writing a simple non-med term that an APS was ordered on and I am looking for ways to speed up the process ie I had my client call his Dr and tell him the check and APS request were coming. Is there anything else I can do to speed it up?

Not really, Keep following up and you might want to have the client call the Dr's office again in a couple of days...My wife recently applied at a Drs office to be the person that pulls the files when APS requests came in. They told her the office practice was to sit on it for 2 weeks before pulling the info and getting it done unless the client made a stink about it.

Not much, really. Since EMSI (directly, and the insurer directly) is the one paying for the request, they pretty much hold the reins. You did the right thing by calling the doctor - that may cut a little time off of the search for everything. However, be careful that when you do that you make it clear that the check is coming from EMSI and not from you. You don't want them thinking you're making the request and then get hit with a surprise bill!

That's what I thought. But thanks for the info. So much for a quick and easy non-med product (in fairness though, usually they do go through very fast)

I have found the average to be about 35 days, exactly what I was told the first time I b itched about it to the person processing my apps.

The doctor is usually unaware that it takes so long. At a certain point I have the applicant call the doc office and start complaining. I also have gone over and picked up an APS in one case, just to cut a week off of it.

It's just another aspect of where technology has slowed down the process.

You may want to check if they require their own release form signed.
Here in California Kaiser has their own which my vary by region. EMSI will mail them the one signed w/the app, Wait for kaiser to send it back, then mail the correct one to the client to sign and mail back to EMSI to mail back to Kaiser. It can cause an aneurism. I carry Kaiser forms in my case.

You should try to never let the carrier order APSs if possible (i understand this was a unique situation). Your BGA should be ordering the APS for the carrier if it is required. Lets take your case for example...if the carrier declines the case and you want to send it to another carrier then the new carrrier will need to order the records all over again (yep another 2 weeks). If your BGA orders them then they have them to send to the next carrier if you need to. Just a tip.

I usually call the doctor's office, introduce myself and ask them what is the status of the APS for Mr. Doe requested by insurance company X
Sometimes they have not received the APS request at all. So call the carrier, let them know that they need to follow up.
At times the doc's office is waiting for the payment .So again, call the carrier and follow up whether they sent the payment.
It IS pain in the a.. but there are things that can be done to speed up a bit.

You should try to never let the carrier order APSs if possible (i understand this was a unique situation). Your BGA should be ordering the APS for the carrier if it is required. Lets take your case for example...if the carrier declines the case and you want to send it to another carrier then the new carrrier will need to order the records all over again (yep another 2 weeks). If your BGA orders them then they have them to send to the next carrier if you need to. Just a tip.
OK I give...who is the BGA?

Back