Help with a Diabetic

Think about a FE, Graded or GI policy(s). I think many FE policies do not ask A1C. Just meds. Then check after a year of controlled numbers.

Wait, not at my desy, but did you look at Americo HMS term? Maybe, if the MIB did not kill him.

With americo you have to complete the diabetic questionnaire with an A1C reading. ...thats one of the first things they ask. If its above 8 I beleive its a decline

Seriously, this guy needs to see a doctor asap and get those levels better controlled

"Seriously, this guy needs to see a doctor asap and get those levels better controlled "

I thought the same too, till the OP said he was diagnosed 4 months ago. So if the Doc is following protocol he will schedule this guy for follow ups every 3 months. He also appears to be following the step at a time pattern. Treating a diabetic is like making a cocktail experiment. You just keep mixing till you get it right.

So I imagine next visit the lantus will be bumped up, maybe another oral med introduced. But it really is hit or miss when you build the medications list for a diabetic. None of us react the same way to meds or foods. Diabetes is a very individual illness.

The new aspect of his diagnosis is the main thing working against him. There is not enough history for an underwriter to make a call on it.

Hope the guy's A1C starts dropping soon and before he has to take on too many meds.

"Seriously, this guy needs to see a doctor asap and get those levels better controlled "

I thought the same too, till the OP said he was diagnosed 4 months ago. So if the Doc is following protocol he will schedule this guy for follow ups every 3 months. He also appears to be following the step at a time pattern. Treating a diabetic is like making a cocktail experiment. You just keep mixing till you get it right.

So I imagine next visit the lantus will be bumped up, maybe another oral med introduced. But it really is hit or miss when you build the medications list for a diabetic. None of us react the same way to meds or foods. Diabetes is a very individual illness.

The new aspect of his diagnosis is the main thing working against him. There is not enough history for an underwriter to make a call on it.

Hope the guy's A1C starts dropping soon and before he has to take on too many meds.

Great post. I didn't see the 4 month ago diagnosis

What you just described is exactly what drs. Did to my father. Its been almost 2 years since he was diagnosed and they are still tinkering with his meds.

"What you just described is exactly what drs. Did to my father. Its been almost 2 years since he was diagnosed and they are still tinkering with his meds. "

15 years for me. I speak from personal experience. The tinkering will be an ongoing thing, because some drugs over time will simply stop working, so you have to find something new. The most frustrating thing is you can do everything they tell you and have crappy numbers, you can do everything you're not supposed to do and have great numbers for a while.

We just did some changes in the last year with mine and my scores went the wrong way. Went back to some of the older medications and low an behold a great improvement in scores. Your Dad is going to get to know how his body reacts over time and have more input in the process as time goes by.

I've been good, great, not so great, bad, really bad, better and even better over those 15 years. You just try to do the right things and hope your body agrees with you.

Cheers.

"What you just described is exactly what drs. Did to my father. Its been almost 2 years since he was diagnosed and they are still tinkering with his meds. "

15 years for me. I speak from personal experience. The tinkering will be an ongoing thing, because some drugs over time will simply stop working, so you have to find something new. The most frustrating thing is you can do everything they tell you and have crappy numbers, you can do everything you're not supposed to do and have great numbers for a while.

We just did some changes in the last year with mine and my scores went the wrong way. Went back to some of the older medications and low an behold a great improvement in scores. Your Dad is going to get to know how his body reacts over time and have more input in the process as time goes by.

I've been good, great, not so great, bad, really bad, better and even better over those 15 years. You just try to do the right things and hope your body agrees with you.

Cheers.

Great stuff as always Larry. You summed it up perfectly.

You learn alot about a particular diagnosis, when you or a family member goes thru it.

Diabetes is a frustrating disease.

Yup. but at the end of the day it is something you learn to manage. Just something you have not who you are.[/QUOTE
I like that comment so many people get caught up in their health issues they don't remember to live! I have a sister that is diabetic as well, we also have a genetic disease that left her blind. She is usually pretty good once, in awhile she fights the depression only the blind get, not sure what it is called but it is encouraging to other people to see someone with several issues dealing with them with dignity!

Back