Highest Producing Life Agents

jn8691mr

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
Is there a website that lists the highest producing life and annuity agents? I come from mortgages and a short stint at a Merrill and I know there's a top 50 or 100 for both those industries. I can't locate a life or annuity list by googling.

Life and annuity work differently because of the different regulations that apply. A producer can produce under a business license and have production reported in that way. And sometimes, a producer may choose to be anonymous on company sales rankings because of other (captive) contracts they may have. It's not to 'hide' anything, but to avoid negative issues within agency offices and perhaps home office personnel.

Now, there are various associations within the life & annuity industry: MDRT (and its various levels), Forum 400, and AALU. Of course, those are voluntary to join.

Those lists aren't public either. Why? Because, just like what happens on this forum, they would be targeted for tons of 'recruiting' messages.

Thanks DHK for explaining

Life and annuity work differently because of the different regulations that apply. A producer can produce under a business license and have production reported in that way. And sometimes, a producer may choose to be anonymous on company sales rankings because of other (captive) contracts they may have. It's not to 'hide' anything, but to avoid negative issues within agency offices and perhaps home office personnel. Now, there are various associations within the life & annuity industry: MDRT (and its various levels), Forum 400, and AALU. Of course, those are voluntary to join. Those lists aren't public either. Why? Because, just like what happens on this forum, they would be targeted for tons of 'recruiting' messages.

Is there a website that lists the highest producing life and annuity agents? I come from mortgages and a short stint at a Merrill and I know there's a top 50 or 100 for both those industries. I can't locate a life or annuity list by googling.

The highest ones are going to be in the millions.

I know back in the 1980's we had a local agent with Northwestern Mutual that made over 2-million a year. He was the highest producing agent for that company. He got involved in a big league battle with them later and lost his license though.

I wonder what he did that caused him to lose his license? A top producer who ends up losing his license... isn't worth emulating, but definitely worth learning about so we don't make the same mistakes.

Historically, the top producers I know of are:
- Ben Feldman
- Joe Gandolfo (sold $1 Billion of face amount back in 1975)
- Irwin Burt Meisel (wrote several books and the column in Life Insurance Selling "Is this about insurance?")
- John Savage

One of the top producers I could think of today is Van Mueller who serves middle American families and retirees in Wisconsin with life insurance and annuity strategies. I also think of Guy Baker.

In this video, Guy Baker speaks at Biola University (a Christian college) regarding the basics of financial planning. Yes, it's worth watching, particularly as he discusses the compound interest curve.

Last edited:
I wonder what he did that caused him to lose his license? A top producer who ends up losing his license... isn't worth emulating, but definitely worth learning about so we don't make the same mistakes.

Historically, the top producers I know of are:
- Ben Feldman
- Joe Gandolfo (sold $1 Billion of face amount back in 1975)
- Irwin Burt Meisel (wrote several books and the column in Life Insurance Selling "Is this about insurance?")
- John Savage

One of the top producers I could think of today is Van Mueller who serves middle American families and retirees in Wisconsin with life insurance and annuity strategies. I also think of Guy Baker.

In this video, Guy Baker speaks at Biola University (a Christian college) regarding the basics of financial planning. Yes, it's worth watching, particularly as he discusses the compound interest curve.
[BBST 450] Investing and Ethics Guy Baker

Guy Baker The BOX

I never fully understood it. I know he was a huge legitimate producer. But something went off the rails with him in the 1990s.
Let me google that for you

According to this link, it all started with...

On December 23, 1993, Mr. Stinnett learned that a group of former insurance clients were contemplating legal action against him for alleged unfair selling practices. This threat of legal action had a negative impact on his psychological health and, he claims, triggered the onset of depression.

He filed for disability income benefits with his policies with NML and was denied because he didn't seek medical treatment to document his depression for the amount of time he wanted. He sued, and he lost.

STINNETT v. NORTHWESTERN MUT. LIFE INS. CO. | Leagle.com.

However, in regards to the alleged unfair selling practices, I guess he didn't want to take responsibility for this since he created the defamatory website to "expose" NML agents and company practices? He may have been selling exactly as the company taught him to... or he may not. But in either case, with the other defamatory things that he did, it's no wonder that he no longer has a license to sell insurance.

According to this link, it all started with... He filed for disability income benefits with his policies with NML and was denied because he didn't seek medical treatment to document his depression for the amount of time he wanted. He sued, and he lost. STINNETT v. NORTHWESTERN MUT. LIFE INS. CO. | Leagle.com. However, in regards to the alleged unfair selling practices, I guess he didn't want to take responsibility for this since he created the defamatory website to "expose" NML agents and company practices? He may have been selling exactly as the company taught him to... or he may not. But in either case, with the other defamatory things that he did, it's no wonder that he no longer has a license to sell insurance.

He was their number one agent for several years.

On a similar topic, there was also Stephen Sawtelle with Waddell & Reed - also their #1 broker... but he WON his lawsuit against W&R.

Back