How to Become a Better Life Insurance Agent?

bballshinobi

Hi guys, I am a Farmers agent so our life training is pretty lacking. What courses/books do you guys suggest if I want to become proficient in life insurance? I heard of the CLU and LUTC classes. What do you think about them? Which one should I take first? Are there other education programs or materials you guys have used to become better agents?

Your feedbacks will be appreciated!

Re: How to Become a Better Agent?

LUTC first!

It took me a year or so of getting my tail-end handed to me in the field and just figuring it out as I went. I read the book "Tax Free Retirement" by Patrick Kelly and it had a lot of good information in reference to insurance in general used as an asset. Question based Selling by Thomas Freese is a good one as well for how to format a presentation. I wish I had a more definite answer besides the school of hard knocks but that is what taught me the most! Good luck!

Ignoring the strong temptation to just post "Join the ILIAA," I'll say that the best way to become a better agent is study and experience. Read everything you can get your hands on - product brochures, underwriting guides, financial guides, trade magazines, sales books, everything.

Experience is a better teacher than anything, though. Get your illustration software and play - learn how to flex products to fit multiple situations. Life insurance is much more complex and malleable than many give it credit for; it can do just about anything if you work hard enough to get it there.

Find someone you trust in the industry to talk with who you're comfortable asking questions of. It's a tremendous help just to have another agent to talk with to figure out some of the more interesting cases you'll run into.

Good luck!

You really need to go out there and knock doors and get some old-style debit training. But, since that probably is not going to happen with farmers, ask everyone you see where they have their life insurance. Every waitress, every check-out lady at the grocery store.

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Well, while I've sold a few policies (mostly terms) I don't feel like I am doing my clients a service since I know there are so much more life insurance can do for people.

I will definitely join ILIAA and take the LUTC courses to enhance my knowledge too. Can somebody suggest more books or programs that teach better prospecting + presentation techniques?

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Well, while I've sold a few policies (mostly terms) I don't feel like I am doing my clients a service since I know there are so much more life insurance can do for people.

I will definitely join ILIAA and take the LUTC courses to enhance my knowledge too. Can somebody suggest more books or programs that teach better prospecting + presentation techniques?

If you do, ask Nick to guide you to a list of recorded webinars. Ones that would be geared to your market.

Good luck

Back