How Often Do You Get Stood Up?

AlTheGud1sRtakn

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
Just curious, how often do you show up to a client's home only to find that there's no one there?

Most of the time I'd say that happens on about 10-20% of the appointments I set but the past 2 weeks have been brutal at over 50%. Can't wait for this to go back to normal!

It happens. Sometimes it's a genuine mis-communication, or they're really "afraid" of you.

For me, I allow 1 "no-show" per prospect. I'll call while I'm at the door and leave a message that I was there.

If they call me back to reschedule, they wiped the slate clean because they make a pro-active call so they must have an interest in seeing me.

If they don't call me, but I contact them again, and if they "no show" me again... dropped forever.

It's like tennis. I'll serve, but I want them to hit the ball back to me. I'll serve up to 2x... but no more than that.

It happens. Sometimes it's a genuine mis-communication, or they're really "afraid" of you.

For me, I allow 1 "no-show" per prospect. I'll call while I'm at the door and leave a message that I was there.

If they call me back to reschedule, they wiped the slate clean because they make a pro-active call so they must have an interest in seeing me.

If they don't call me, but I contact them again, and if they "no show" me again... dropped forever.

It's like tennis. I'll serve, but I want them to hit the ball back to me. I'll serve up to 2x... but no more than that.

I like to do that too. Calling them on the phone while knocking on the door. I envision them hiding behind the couch.:laugh:

I had one last week that I called while knocking and he answered and let me in. They were in the back bedroom watching T.V. and couldn't hear me...no doorbell.

Sometimes they just don't hear you. Most of the time I think they just change their mind and don't have the decency to call and cancel(if they have your#) before you drive over there.

Very rare for me, but I don't do near the numbers as some of you guys. Most of my clients are well vetted prior to our appt. If they do no show me, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt once because life happens. More often, I get a call before the appt to cancel/reschedule, than an actual no show.

50% no-shows! That is a tough week.

I suggest that you take a few measures to regain control over the process. Early in my career I, like many brokers, just wanted to get in front of people. I was reluctant to reach out too much to them before the appointment for fear of them losing interest. The thinking was that if you can get physically in front of them, they are more or less stuck with you and more inclined to buy.

That, my friend, is a myth.

If they are that disinterested in seeing you, odds are they will be that disinterested in buying from you if they do see you. No amount of charm or product knowledge is going to sway them if they really do not want to buy at the time.

Make sure each appointment is qualified. You should know what they want and why they want it before you show up. They should know why you are going to be there and how you can help them.

If all of these factors are not in place than you are better off not wasting your time. It’s better to have two solid appointments than ten iffy ones.

50% no-shows! That is a tough week.

I suggest that you take a few measures to regain control over the process. Early in my career I, like many brokers, just wanted to get in front of people. I was reluctant to reach out too much to them before the appointment for fear of them losing interest. The thinking was that if you can get physically in front of them, they are more or less stuck with you and more inclined to buy.

That, my friend, is a myth.

If they are that disinterested in seeing you, odds are they will be that disinterested in buying from you if they do see you. No amount of charm or product knowledge is going to sway them if they really do not want to buy at the time.

Make sure each appointment is qualified. You should know what they want and why they want it before you show up. They should know why you are going to be there and how you can help them.

If all of these factors are not in place than you are better off not wasting your time. It’s better to have two solid appointments than ten iffy ones.

Oh I pre-qualify pretty well. I don't always confirm though unless it's really out of my way but even then I try to book several appointments in the same area so it's worth my trip. Even so, some people just forget or maybe just change their minds. 50% is unusual but it just made me wonder how things are for other people.

Oh I pre-qualify pretty well. I don't always confirm though unless it's really out of my way but even then I try to book several appointments in the same area so it's worth my trip. Even so, some people just forget or maybe just change their minds. 50% is unusual but it just made me wonder how things are for other people.

Got it. Sounds good. Hey, some weeks things are just off. I find that activity kind of runs in cycles.

What were you scheduled to talk with the folks about?

A mix of insurance. Mostly FE, term, med sup, there may have been some potential UL business on the table for some of those I don't really recall.

Yesterday and today have started to turn around, I'm at 3 applications so far for the week (Wednesday I was at 0 despite having nearly all of my set appointments on Monday and Tuesday) and I should have 2 small rollovers later today. There may be some life business in the rollovers as well but I think they're pretty well covered, we'll see.

A good way to keep from getting stood up is to call the prospect, not to confirm, but to reschedule. Simply call them the morning of the appointment and tell them that your appointment right before them had to reschedule and is going to make you 15 minutes late. Works pretty good for me.

Back