How Soon After Somebody Dies Would You Approach the Loved One?

ZenSamurai

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
New York
I am friends with a couple who had a baby but the baby died inside the womb, unfortunately. After that they setup a charity for my friends' of 1500.00 for medical expenses, memorial and grieving money. I want to approach them about getting something for each other. I don't know how soon is too soon. The baby's death happened on the 9th. I'm thinking I can tell them about the charity and bring up life insurance as a bigger "charity" in case something happens. How long would everybody here wait to go up to people and talk about life insurance? Also going forward I would like to be able to have some idea on how soon other people would approach a loved one about protecting their family. Thank you for your advice in advance.

I would not touch that with a 100' pole...if you are approaching on the basis of "your unborn baby died, and I sell life insurance."

I would give it a couple months at least...the grieving process for that must be loooong...I can't even imagine. Even when you to approach the subject, there should be absolutely no tie to their deceased baby...

I would feel like it would be extremely inappropriate to even suggest it right now especially being this was a loss of a baby. I would give it a year at least and like the other post said dont even bring up the loss of the baby when you suggest the purchase. Are you a close friend? do they know you sell insurance? if they know then dont even suggest it they would have approached you if they wanted it. Support is what they really need at this moment. Sounds like you really want to help them but im afraid this wont be help they want at the moment even though they probably need it.

Here's what you do:

DON'T approach saying "Hey, I'm a life insurance agent... sounds like you could use some more."

However, you CAN give them a "checklist" of other ways that they can plan. I subscribe to the VSA The Virtual Assistant | The Complete Financial Advisor Toolbox, and they have a Life Guide called "When A Loved One Dies". It's a checklist that has NO sales information in it at all. However, during this time, it can help them to "pick up the pieces", and you can position yourself as a resource.

Then ask if you can send them your monthly newsletter that has various financial tips.

If you position yourself as a resource, willing to help... it should go a LOT easier - and not "creepy salesy".

Nope. Not at all.

It depends on the content and the purpose of the newsletter. If you review the VSA link, you'll see that everything there are simple concepts that anyone can use as a reference & resource.

The goal is this: keep in contact, but no pressure for them to have to do anything with you. Let them come to you when they are ready.

Just saying as a mother and trying to imagine what it must feel like to be in their shoes. If you came up to me with a flyer or something of that sort giving me recourse and offering your help i would appreciate it and maybe even look through it and give you a call. But when i hear or see subscribe to a news letter it just completely turns my attention away from you. Completely my opinion but an honest whole hearted one.

DHK? kid died 4 days ago according to the OP. While what you mention is good, I don't think it should be delivered maybe at the earliest a couple to three months later. Things are a little too fresh if the child passed 4 days ago.

I would let the friend approach me about life insurance whenever they get ready to purchase.

Back