How a Top Producer Builds Long-term Client Relationships with Women

Years ago I met a female agent who introduced her by saying "I am an agent, not a secretary". I was thinking "So?", but I didn't verbalize it.

I wonder what the best response to that is. "I'm a [political party/race/ethnicity] but not a [stereotype that fits]. And very happy to meet you." With the right voice inflection you might make a connection. Of course it might blow up in your face.

I wonder what response she wanted.

There are a lot more female agents today. She has probably stopped saying that.

Just doling out a little Trumpian snark. Yes, I would say that women do see the inherent value in insurance more than men do.

Most women know it is usually the man who dies early and leaves the woman with the mess.

This whole thing comes under the title of "Who Cares" (Sorry, Brian)

Yes, women often have different questions/needs when discussing financial planning.

Yes, I want to see more college graduates (men and women) getting in front of an FP in the first year.

Yes, women get paid 82 cents on the dollar, but its pretty screwed up method to get to that number (Especially if you leave out Hollywood).

Somarco works better with women over 65. Great.

Justin (did you change your name?) works better with women. Great.

JD thinks everyone is a liar til proven otherwise, so I am guessing he works better with men ;)

As far as the agent/secretary thing goes, when I am in a room full of men, the people who haven't met me think I am someone's secretary. Or wife. Its a male dominated field. If you can't stand the heat, go back to the kitchen. (And I would bet she was gone in the first 12 months. The women with chips on their shoulder rarely last)

I work better with men. And rarely do I work well with strong, successful women. Again, "Who Cares".

Camille is building her practice, focused on women. Great. Go For it.

Figure out who you work best with, get in front of them, sell it and ask for referrals.

This whole thing comes under the title of "Who Cares" (Sorry, Brian)

Yes, women often have different questions/needs when discussing financial planning.

Yes, I want to see more college graduates (men and women) getting in front of an FP in the first year.

Yes, women get paid 82 cents on the dollar, but its pretty screwed up method to get to that number (Especially if you leave out Hollywood).

Somarco works better with women over 65. Great.

Justin (did you change your name?) works better with women. Great.

JD thinks everyone is a liar til proven otherwise, so I am guessing he works better with men ;)

As far as the agent/secretary thing goes, when I am in a room full of men, the people who haven't met me think I am someone's secretary. Or wife. Its a male dominated field. If you can't stand the heat, go back to the kitchen. (And I would bet she was gone in the first 12 months. The women with chips on their shoulder rarely last)

I work better with men. And rarely do I work well with strong, successful women. Again, "Who Cares".

Camille is building her practice, focused on women. Great. Go For it.

Figure out who you work best with, get in front of them, sell it and ask for referrals.

I don't think everyone is a liar. In fact, just the opposite. I give everyone the benefit of the doubt until they show me I shouldn't.

But I've seen these experts come and go. And mostly go. If someone is truly having success a certain way and they are willing to share it then I want to know about it.

But I don't want to take dunking lessons from Peter Dinkledge.:yes:

For what it is worth, which is probably not much, compared to the 80s when I got started: There's typically a little less testosterone, a lot more gray hair, and less melanin at most insurance gatherings.

At 54 I think I'm still below the median age at a typical insurance meeting. I see hardly anybody that looks like they are in their 20s. A few thirty-somethings. And way more than half are over 50.

We are a dying breed. I wonder why more of our sons and daughters don't get licensed.

For what it is worth, which is probably not much, compared to the 80s when I got started: There's typically a little less testosterone, a lot more gray hair, and less melanin at most insurance gatherings.

At 54 I think I'm still below the median age at a typical insurance meeting. I see hardly anybody that looks like they are in their 20s. A few thirty-somethings. And way more than half are over 50.

We are a dying breed. I wonder why more of our sons and daughters don't get licensed.

I'm pretty sure that I've read several times recently that you are the age of the average insurance agent. Yes, we are aging, but not ready to die yet.:twitchy:

I wonder what the best response to that is. "I'm a [political party/race/ethnicity] but not a [stereotype that fits]. And very happy to meet you." With the right voice inflection you might make a connection. Of course it might blow up in your face.

I wonder what response she wanted.

This was 1976 or 77. I was a carrier rep housed in an agency. All men. Liz was in the bull pen but wanted to make sure I knew she was an agent too. Things were different then.

Somarco works better with women over 65

You missed the part where I said most of my clients (since leaving the group health side) were women. And no, I did not seek them out. Women do most of the shopping. At least for health insurance.

I wonder why more of our sons and daughters don't get licensed.

It's not just insurance. There are a lot of doctors and teachers that say the same thing.

You missed the part where I said most of my clients (since leaving the group health side) were women. And no, I did not seek them out. Women do most of the shopping. At least for health insurance.

No, I didnt. Women do most of the health insurance shopping based on how YOU prospect.
And since you are great with women, they tell their GFs at bridge, which creates more referrals that are women.

I've done Medicare 101 5 times this week. All 5 were married. 4 of them were to the men only, even though the wives will also be on Medicare in the next 12 months. The one time it was to both, was when the husband is 70 and the wife has been the primary earner for 10 years.

Just because your experience is that women do the shopping for health insurance doesn't make it true for everyone.

No, I didnt. Women do most of the health insurance shopping based on how YOU prospect.
And since you are great with women, they tell their GFs at bridge, which creates more referrals that are women.

I've done Medicare 101 5 times this week. All 5 were married. 4 of them were to the men only, even though the wives will also be on Medicare in the next 12 months. The one time it was to both, was when the husband is 70 and the wife has been the primary earner for 10 years.

Just because your experience is that women do the shopping for health insurance doesn't make it true for everyone.

So in those situations where there is just a small age gap but all/most of the presentation goes to the concerned/interested older one with the immediate need, do you have to do the complete presentation again when the younger one "comes of age"-- or are there shortcuts the second time around?

----------

They're waiting for more software development. They want to be able to door knock using Google Street View and virtual reality software.

So in those situations where there is just a small age gap but all/most of the presentation goes to the concerned/interested older one with the immediate need, do you have to do the complete presentation again when the younger one "comes of age"-- or are there shortcuts the second time around?

----------

They're waiting for more software development. They want to be able to door knock using Google Street View and virtual reality software.

I wonder about door knocking on a hoverboard.........:yes:

Back