How a Top Producer Builds Long-term Client Relationships with Women

Brian Anderson

Executive Editor
100+ Post Club
Camille Marie Tan, a producer affiliated with Ohio National, has experienced a lot of success in building long-term relationships with female clients. She shares some of her best-practices experience in a new article exclusively on Insurance Forums, which you can read at the link below.

In it, she talks about how she tailors her approach when working with women with a goal of forming a trusted partnership – which includes approaching client meetings more as educational and informational sessions.

She talks about taking a different approach depending on the client’s life stage. In working with recent college grads, she strives to help them understand the value in products like DI and life insurance. Not to mention starting that relationship early on often leads to long-term clients.

If you have any thoughts on the ideas in the article, or want to share how you tailor your approach when working with women, please share them here.

Insurance Forums | Keys to financially empower women

Women already HAVE the power.

How many times have you sat with a married couple, directed all your attention to the "man", and he turns to his wife and asks "Honey, what do you think?"?

Granted, not all women are the "weaker sex" when it comes to finances. However, if you can make sure that BOTH spouses can understand the plan, it'll be far easier for them to like you, trust you, and buy from you.

But if you try to sound "too smart", "talk down" to them, make them feel dumb or inferior in any way... they will not buy from you.

I don't care WHO you're trying to sell to - this quote applies:

"Simplicity is the Ultimate Sophistication." - Leonardo da Vinci

Maybe I read a slightly different article. I took it to mean that we have a growing population of woman (who are actually about 51% of the US population) who make less money than men and generally have less time to save for their future.

We have to take a slightly different approach when addressing a woman's concerns for the future than we would a man's.

Most of my top clients are women, I find it way easier to do business with them, most men can't be bothered with thinking about what-ifs to protect against.

Mass Mutual has a nice women's seminar, that's something I would like to focus on - helping women with their particular problems.

Just doling out a little Trumpian snark. Yes, I would say that women do see the inherent value in insurance more than men do.

Women already HAVE the power.

How many times have you sat with a married couple, directed all your attention to the "man", and he turns to his wife and asks "Honey, what do you think?"?

Granted, not all women are the "weaker sex" when it comes to finances. However, if you can make sure that BOTH spouses can understand the plan, it'll be far easier for them to like you, trust you, and buy from you.

But if you try to sound "too smart", "talk down" to them, make them feel dumb or inferior in any way... they will not buy from you.

I don't care WHO you're trying to sell to - this quote applies:

"Simplicity is the Ultimate Sophistication." - Leonardo da Vinci

Probably 90% of my clients are women. It has been that way for quite some time since I transitioned from business group insurance to individual health and now Medicare.

In many (most?) households women are the CFO, the ones who run the household finances. It doesn't matter if they work outside the home or not, they deal with a lot of things, such as insurance buying decisions, that men don't want to handle.

Now that I work the Medicare market exclusively I have a few more male clients than in the U65 market but still almost all of my clients are women. Some are married, many are single (divorce or widow) and some never married.

There is nothing conscious about my approach to women vs med. I conduct my business in the same manner. I don't "target" women but more seem to find me.

Years ago I met a female agent who introduced her by saying "I am an agent, not a secretary". I was thinking "So?", but I didn't verbalize it. Perhaps a lot of men stereotyped her as a secretary in a male dominated industry.

She specifically targeted women who were self employed, business owners or single mom's. Her attitude was a bit off putting and I doubt she would have had many male clients if she wanted to pursue them.

I haven't made in home sales in quite some time but I always looked for which partner took the lead. That partner received the bulk of my attention but I was never dismissive of the passive one. Many times the passive partner was the real decision maker and I had to draw them out to get a commitment.

Camille Marie Tan, a producer affiliated with Ohio National, has experienced a lot of success in building long-term relationships with female clients. She shares some of her best-practices experience in a new article exclusively on Insurance Forums, which you can read at the link below.

In it, she talks about how she tailors her approach when working with women with a goal of forming a trusted partnership – which includes approaching client meetings more as educational and informational sessions.

She talks about taking a different approach depending on the client’s life stage. In working with recent college grads, she strives to help them understand the value in products like DI and life insurance. Not to mention starting that relationship early on often leads to long-term clients.

If you have any thoughts on the ideas in the article, or want to share how you tailor your approach when working with women, please share them here.

Insurance Forums | Keys to financially empower women

Define "top producer". How much production?

Define "top producer". How much production?

We never requested that she provide any proof of production totals, but my contacts at Ohio National say she is one of their top female producers, which was enough for me to generically label her as a "top producer."

We never requested that she provide any proof of production totals, but my contacts at Ohio National say she is one of their top female producers, which was enough for me to generically label her as a "top producer."

I would suggest getting proof. That's pretty important in deciding how much weight to give to one's advice.:yes:

Back