I Apologize for this if It is Repetative, but Need Start Up Guidence Please

sbarton69

Sorry if I may be bothering you. I have quite a few questions and looking for a good mentor or starting point for my Career. I am currently licensed in Lie and Health in the state of Arkansas. I started with a captive company doing Union Life Insurance in Wal-Marts backyard .. Ya that didn't go so well. I gave them 3 weeks and my managing mentor was told out leads dried up. I then got hooked up with a friend that had some old leads from his mentor that was "passed down". These were the direct mail type leads you spoke of above.

I really want to make it in this industry as I have the passion for helping people and this is one of the areas I feel strongly about. This new company has mailers going out, but it has been going into the third week now and nothing coming in.

Have I just been a dealt a bad starting hand, or do I need to hang in and keep working with what I have been working with.

Just getting to the frustration stage and looking for help. I am looking for a true life preserver before I drowned from being to tired to keep swimming ..

Fields of Interest are Mortgage Protection, Final Expense, Fixed and Indexed Annuities.

Sorry if I may be bothering you. I have quite a few questions and looking for a good mentor or starting point for my Career. I am currently licensed in Lie and Health in the state of Arkansas. I started with a captive company doing Union Life Insurance in Wal-Marts backyard .. Ya that didn't go so well. I gave them 3 weeks and my managing mentor was told out leads dried up. I then got hooked up with a friend that had some old leads from his mentor that was "passed down". These were the direct mail type leads you spoke of above.

I really want to make it in this industry as I have the passion for helping people and this is one of the areas I feel strongly about. This new company has mailers going out, but it has been going into the third week now and nothing coming in.

Have I just been a dealt a bad starting hand, or do I need to hang in and keep working with what I have been working with.

Just getting to the frustration stage and looking for help. I am looking for a true life preserver before I drowned from being to tired to keep swimming ..

Fields of Interest are Mortgage Protection, Final Expense, Fixed and Indexed Annuities.

Well, the starting hand you were dealt may not have been a Royal Flush, it wasn't a bad hand.

1st, what does being in the back yard of WalMart have to do with selling life insurance? Walmart employees do not have such great benefits that they do not need personal life insurance.. And, even if they did, not everybody in your area works for Walmart.. Sounds as if you are given for negative thinking rather than looking for the opportunities that surely abound in your area.

2nd: What does leads drying up have to do with your success or failing. If you don't have leads, you look for other methods of prospecting.. There are people who are multi- year MDRT producers that have never bought a lead in their life.

3rd. Training from others is nice and makes it easier but many successful agents never had any training of that nature. When I was a manager, I could spot the agents that were going to make it. They welcomed any training I might provide but they sit around waiting for it. They read everything they could get their hands on about the product so they would be knowledgeable. Then they read everything they could get their hands on about prospecting and selling the product. But, most importantly, they then rushed out to the field to put it to use.. They learned by being willing to fail and then to try again and again until they succeeded.

Please don't take this the wrong way because I don't intend to offend you but quit looking for reasons why your situation is tough and why you can't succeed where you are. The insurance business is tough no matter where you are but the people that are successful can succeed no matter where they are.

I wish you the best in the business.

Thank you rousemark what I meant about that is that the company was Union in a very unfriendly Union Market was what I meant there.

I was looking for the best way to prospect without what I was looking for. Thank you xrac for the thread I will start there.

Thank you rousemark what I meant about that is that the company was Union in a very unfriendly Union Market was what I meant there.

I was looking for the best way to prospect without what I was looking for. Thank you xrac for the thread I will start there.
I understand that the area may be hostile to unions ( I also live in an area hostile to unions) but does the company only sell to union members? If not, then I would prospect among the non union folks and never mention any union ties.. The subject of labor unions probably would never come up but if it did, I would simply say, 'We care about providing security for all the working people of America, not just the ones that are union members." :)

You do your best to adapt to your situation and to turn it into a positive.. Now, if they only serve Union Members, I would definitely move along, not because a person couldn't succeed with them but because I would not want my market to be that narrow..

Last edited:
And that was it they were that narrow, for that particular company. I have read and fully believe in the Go for No concepts to selling and love that idea for the market place.

I have studied my products, just wasn't sure of the prospecting side of the leads if not provided for by the company I work for. Like I said 6 weeks green and I appreciate the directions on where to go that was a set of threads I didn't think of looking into.

And that was it they were that narrow, for that particular company. I have read and fully believe in the Go for No concepts to selling and love that idea for the market place.

I have studied my products, just wasn't sure of the prospecting side of the leads if not provided for by the company I work for. Like I said 6 weeks green and I appreciate the directions on where to go that was a set of threads I didn't think of looking into.

I made a good deal of money in NWA back when I was busting bugs all over the state. It a a great area to use as a home base, but the best advice that I can give you is to set a radius that you are willing to travel, and try to stay outside of the Fayeteville and Springdale city limits until you learn the area a little better.

Thank you for this, I have that radius and it is from the MO state line to the Russelville area and OK State line to Harrison. I have been in this area for the last 15 years in other industries.

After 42 years in the business, I do not believe in the Go for No concept.. I believe in Go for Yes! :yes:.. 6 weeks is really not enough time to make a judgement on the effectiveness of any system.

Having said that.. Narrow your focus..of the areas you mentioned, I would choose FE.. Understanding the market is not as simple as most people think but the product is simple, easy to understand, and simple to present. You can generate an income fairly quickly. Get with an FMO that offers some sort of training. I like www.fexcontracting.com . Newby is a top notch guy. His partner Travis is an FE expert and they also have JDeasy on board as an agent. In addition to offering excellent contract levels, they have a great training call every Friday morning for their agetns and are available to answer questions.

There are others such as Todd King that have outstanding reputations on the forum that you might check with but I can't speak to what they have to offer because I have not contracted with them.

If I can ever help, feel free to contact me. Again, I wish you nothing but success.

Back