I Hope You're Dancing in Heaven, Daddy.

WinoBlues

Guru
5000 Post Club
Wow. I just got back from taking my 12 year old daughter to a sleep over. On the way over she of course is ignoring me singing to oldies on the radio. She is on Facebook on her phone.

Suddenly I see her start crying. I start asking her what's wrong as I pull over. She says that "Taylor" an ex-classmate had posted "I hope you're dancing in heaven,daddy" yesterday. Today she posted that her dad had died a couple days ago from cancer. He was about 40 years old. Looking a my daughter crying almost made me lose it.

This is the second classmate that has had a loss like this in the last couple years. The other was a suicide.

I know that in the first one the mother had a good job. They still wound up having to move. In this recent case, the mom is a stay at home mom.

I do not know what the finances are for either family. However, it does serve as a reminder of what we provide for the families we insure.

We of course can not relieve the pain of a little girl missing her dad. But we can relieve some of the financial stress from mom. So that she can concentrate on her and her children's healing.

Man!

Suddenly I see her start crying. I start asking her what's wrong as I pull over. She says that "Taylor" an ex-classmate had posted "I hope you're dancing in heaven,daddy" yesterday. Today she posted that her dad had died a couple days ago from cancer. He was about 40 years old. Looking a my daughter crying almost made me lose it.

"Dancing in heaven". That is beautiful.

If those feelings could be bottled you would never have to sell another policy. There would be a never ending line of people waiting for you to write their application.

In similar fashion, life insurance on children is often hotly debated and from a monetary position, doesn't pay much.

While life insurance on children is usually sold in small amounts, when asked, I usually suggest $50k or so.

Over the years, parents I know have lost children. Far too many were teenagers killed in car accidents. A very dear friend lost his son to a drunk driver at Christmas time almost 10 yrs ago.

Seeing the emotional devastation this type of event creates is heart breaking. While life insurance is meant to cover final expenses, and in the case of adults, replace income, there is another aspect that is rarely mentioned.

Allowing the survivors time to grieve in dignity has a separate value. I can think of nothing worse than burying a child and knowing I had to return to work the next day due to financial pressures.

In similar fashion, life insurance on children is often hotly debated and from a monetary position, doesn't pay much.

While life insurance on children is usually sold in small amounts, when asked, I usually suggest $50k or so.

Over the years, parents I know have lost children. Far too many were teenagers killed in car accidents. A very dear friend lost his son to a drunk driver at Christmas time almost 10 yrs ago.

Seeing the emotional devastation this type of event creates is heart breaking. While life insurance is meant to cover final expenses, and in the case of adults, replace income, there is another aspect that is rarely mentioned.

Allowing the survivors time to grieve in dignity has a separate value. I can think of nothing worse than burying a child and knowing I had to return to work the next day due to financial pressures.

That is so spot on. Another aspect people apparently don't realize is a health condition may arise that would make that child virtually uninsurable at some point while they are young.

That may prevent them from getting the life insurance they will need when they become an adult and have a family of their own.

"Making money" from the death of a child is not a well informed way of looking at life insurance for children.

We all think we will have enough time to get our affairs in order. It is not that most fathers dont want to protect their loved ones, it is that they think there will be more time or they will take care of it later when they make more money.

One of the 1st bills that I make sure gets paid every year is my life insurance.

I deal with claims all the time. I have gotten three in the last week. Part of the business.

I do not know why this hit me the way it did. I think maybe because I saw how it affected my daughter and I can imagaine how it would affected her if her mom or I died.

I also agree on insurance on kids. Not only for the final expenses but the aftermath. Future insuribility, purchese options and convertibility can be very important if needed.

Parents don't think of insurability problems. After all, kids don't get sick, right?

But they can identify with taking time off from work to grieve.

Parents don't think of insurability problems. After all, kids don't get sick, right?

But they can identify with taking time off from work to grieve.

I really appreciate this post. Such a sad situation. I am going to ba a father for the 1st time in a few months and have been putting off submitting a Life app. What an *** I am!

Believe me I know the importance and after reading Mark's post on himself, this experience, and the experience of the father in Texas who died so tragically in front of his son @ the baseball game.. there is no excuse not to have it. Anything can happen at anytime.

Again, thanks for sharing. I almost want to e-mail these posts to all of my clients that are putting it off. I had a client the other day who is also an expecting father say he wants to lose 20lbs first so he can get a better rate. He only has 50k in place now. I shared with him the experience of the Texas guy and he still didn't get it. To each his own atleast I did my part.

Tell him to cancel his cable to pay the extra couple dollars and reward himself with the cable when he loses those extra "baby pounds". Or sell him a shorter term policy that he can convert or replace in a year when he is Mister Adonis body.

The reality is he most likely will not lose all the weight. But he will die.

When you write yourself see if the company will allow you to add a child rider now. In the sad even your child is born with a life threatening birth defect they will be covered after the 15th day automatically. If they do not allow it, you should be able to add it on the 15th day of life. Do it that day.

Congrats on the new baby.

Lee

I really appreciate this post. Such a sad situation. I am going to ba a father for the 1st time in a few months and have been putting off submitting a Life app. What an *** I am!

Believe me I know the importance and after reading Mark's post on himself, this experience, and the experience of the father in Texas who died so tragically in front of his son @ the baseball game.. there is no excuse not to have it. Anything can happen at anytime.

Again, thanks for sharing. I almost want to e-mail these posts to all of my clients that are putting it off. I had a client the other day who is also an expecting father say he wants to lose 20lbs first so he can get a better rate. He only has 50k in place now. I shared with him the experience of the Texas guy and he still didn't get it. To each his own atleast I did my part.

Back