Impaired Risk Sources for Older Drug User Less Than 2 Years Clean

andylit

I have a 62 year old male who is 19 months clean, 5'6" 230 lbs, cholesterol under control with meds, plus anti-anxiety scrip for PTSD. Nam vet.

I know there are GI products but I am hoping to get him underwritten for $200-$250K. MetLife says 2 year clean required, as do a couple others.

Do you have any carriers that are more lenient on substance abuse history?

Is it even worth trying or should I wait until the 2 year clean mark?

Thanks in advance

Wait until the two year mark, then if you can get that MetLife policy, it will be a blessing. Some of our heroic Vietnam vets are difficult to insure for health conditions caused by that war, but PTSD along with substance abuse is one of the most challenging.

Good for you to try to help this fellow. I always try to go the extra mile for veterans.

I have on occasion been able to place somebody with a drug or alcohol history prior to the waiting period cited in the underwriting guidelines. Factors such as his available support group, and general health, are among those that may lead an underwriter to make an exception. It is not really a matter of which carrier would take him now, because by the book, they all would say no. The underwriter who would consider him eligible for coverage now would base it on the quality of the case and the degree of your prequalification.

"The underwriter who would consider him eligible for coverage now would base it on the quality of the case and the degree of your prequalification. "
And a good cover letter can do wonders as well.

Build will probably be 4 tables considering that he probably will have some higher lipid and BP numbers. Probably a smoker. Add that you are probably looking at $xx per thousand add on. Make sure you prep him and get a realistic budget along with a minimum face amount he will except.

A drug and alcohol questionnaire along with a MVR will help you shop it out. As the other agents mentioned a cover letter is big. Is he married, church, support groups, in a program? Have all your ducks lined up before calling.

We have many broken warriors and more to come.

"And a good cover letter can do wonders as well".
Yes, indeed. A goof cover letter is integral to prequalification. Other key parts include complete and thorough client disclosures, medical records, medical records summary, and third-party information such as financial records or motor vehicle report.

Back