It's Not a 'windfall'. It's how Key-man Policies Work.

Disney could receive $50M for Carrie Fisher’s death | New York Post

Before the article came out, I thought about the possibilities that movie projects probably do and should take out policies on their lead actors, especially for multiple film projects.

Well, here's the proof.

If I'm not mistaken, the largest life insurance policy ever sold was a key man policy on David Geffen's life after he sold his record label to MCA. It was sold by a life insurance salesman out of the UK by the name of Peter Rosengard. I'm not sure if that is still the record holder, but at one time, and for quite a while, it was.

"When SG began in 2010, it solicited new business with a direct mail campaign, which the billionaire answered and subsequently became a client."

As crazy as it would seem that a billionaire would answer a direct mail campaign, that may have been the most accurate statement made by SG...I used to target CEO's of small companies and was always surprised by the number of favorable responses received.

I saw the title and thought, oh not again. I thought you know who was now going to start doing key man policies.

Well - now that you mention Key Man . . .

Question:

JD and DHK own ABC Gadgets, Inc an up and coming Gadget company with 10 Million in annual sales and 10 employees. JD is COO and DHK is CEO and Chairman.

They are each married with 2 kids each.

They each want $1million policy on each other. What should I write them? What about the spouses and kids?

Back