Leaving a Brokerage, how to Get Reappointed Without a Break in Appointment

I was with a brokerage who helped me to to get appointed to some carriers, I am cutting ties with them. I want to use some of the carriers I am already appointed with.
Do I need to break/cancel my original appointment and then re-apply to get appointed again?
If so, can I do this now while I am waiting for my contract to be cancelled with the broker?
I hope my question makes sense. Still a newby but, I am focused on independent! Thanks for any guidance.

I was with a brokerage who helped me to to get appointed to some carriers, I am cutting ties with them. I want to use some of the carriers I am already appointed with.
Do I need to break/cancel my original appointment and then re-apply to get appointed again?
If so, can I do this now while I am waiting for my contract to be cancelled with the broker?
I hope my question makes sense. Still a newby but, I am focused on independent! Thanks for any guidance.

It depends completely on whether your current upline will release you to re-contract with those companies. If they won't then you will have to not write that company for 6 to 12 months. Whatever that company rule is.

Some companies allow dual appointments. If you find one of those then the release won't matter.

Very few IMO's will release. So you may be locked out of writing your preferred companies for a while.

Most companies allow dual appointment. Complete the contracting for the companies you want through your new brokerage and you should be all set.

I would say some companies allow dual appointment, vs most. If they do, you will most likely be appointed at the same comp level you are currently at. Once the 6-12 mos passes, you could be eligible for a bump. If they don't allow dual contracting, you will need to try and get released...and if they won't do it, you are stuck waiting whatever amt of time is req'd.

Good luck going independent!! There are plenty of great companies that let you deal direct so there is no reason for you to make the same mistake by going to another FMO. These companies have marketing departments that can help you if you need support.

Back