Leaving Northwestern Mutual to Go to Where?

Yes, early on they will want him to sell their product but once he is established he has an opportunity to do a lot more than he can at NWML and has more freedom. My understanding is they pretty much leave you alone as long as you do your required production through the company. Am I wrong//// SOMEONE HAS SPELLED SOMETHING IN MY KEYBOARD.

It would depend on the office, but yes. Culturally Mass is much more open to that as long as you are doing enough to keep your contract. Of course, some GAs may be more strict about it.

It would depend on the office, but yes. Culturally Mass is much more open to that as long as you are doing enough to keep your contract. Of course, some GAs may be more strict about it.

I am sure that it does depend upon the GA. The operation that I am more familiar with is Guardian and the GA of this area was pretty laid back.

Mass agents always insist with me that they can sell anything they want.

NWM put you through a little bit of heck before they hired you, a little screening process. I guess you passed. Hate is a word that is used for racial incidents, most of the time. I have trouble believing it is hate for a newbie.... but maybe I'm wrong.

Yes, at Mass, you can sell "anything you want"... subject to approval by your GA & the Home Office.

Basically, you cannot sell Indexed products without prior approval... and from what I understand, that approval isn't coming anytime soon - or until they have their own index product to sell.

MassMutual & Guardian are two career shops that I would recommend if your goal is to eventually be a broker and want to still service the policies you sold. Depending on your state, you may also want to check out Ohio National.

NWM put you through a little bit of heck before they hired you, a little screening process. I guess you passed. Hate is a word that is used for racial incidents, most of the time. I have trouble believing it is hate for a newbie.... but maybe I'm wrong.
I don't recall ever using the term "hate" and I'm not sure what response you'd like to your "I guess you passed." comment.

Everyone else, thank you for your insight, advice and helpful words.

I don't recall ever using the term "hate" and I'm not sure what response you'd like to your "I guess you passed." comment.

Everyone else, thank you for your insight, advice and helpful words.

Read your post #4 on this thread. You did use "hate", just not in the context being inferred.

Mass agents always insist with me that they can sell anything they want.

It really depends on the GA and where the agent is in his career. The newer you are, the tighter they will hold you to Mass. All the money for the sales manager is in the first four years. I'm not sure about for the GA. Don't forget, your GA is also your OSJ, so they can control you through your OBAs. Personally, I think that is the primary motivator behind why the GAs like everyone to have at least a Series 6.

I know plenty of experienced Mass agents that sell a lot of outside products. I also know the Tennessee GA use to be very strict on holding financed agents to Mass. It may have changed, but I really doubt it. This is the same GA that severely limited the VAs that could be sold.

Please listen carefully to this advice. The grass is not always greener on the other side of the fence. I have made some good moves and some bad moves in the past 17 years of this career. What I discovered is that you can make just about any place a home when you start considering yourself your own business, rather than relying upon who's name is on the shingle outside. It's easy to look for the bad things. Look for the good things, like product, benefits, etc.. Do not get into the routine of jumping from one company to the next. Those agents very seldom put down any roots and always seem to have a story about why they left the last company. Once I figured that out, my life became more prosperous with some peace of mind as well.

Back