Life Insurance Company Interviews

rpowlis

What can be expected from interview process of Met Life, Mass Mutual, New York Life, and so on? How many interviews usually take place? Are there any types of tests? Are you able to meet with established agents? Is there a drug screening? Any type of info would be a huge help.

For Northwestern Mutual, I had 4 interviews if I remember correctly. Recruiter, Field Director, Seasoned Agent then GA.

You'll probably have a first interview with a hot little recruiter who doesn't know the business, but looks good and makes you want to say yes to the next step. Then the real interviews come and you'll take a sales/personality test. You will get to speak with a seasoned agent and if you don't, make sure you ask.

They'll probably go over your natural market in the interview process.

What can be expected from interview process of Met Life, Mass Mutual, New York Life, and so on? How many interviews usually take place? Are there any types of tests? Are you able to meet with established agents? Is there a drug screening? Any type of info would be a huge help.

I interviewed with New York Life, Met Life and Mass Mutual agencies here in the L.A. area.

The differences between the three of them were like night and day.

MassMutal had me back for 4 interivews, they were the only people who threw the cold water on my face, non of this six figure income once you call your 200 circle of friends stuff.

For me, at least the courtship was long, and, at the end of the day, worth the wait.

I'm in an agency that is connected to MassMutual, yet gives me the freedom to hook up with other carriers, health and life. Plus I've got access to over 100 other Mutual and public insurance companies, includng the other companies that I interviewed with.

The work here is hard, not having a "natural circle of friends", all mine are back in the UK, I'm forced to do cold calling B2B at the moment, both phone and "belly to belly". I'm now working on orphan files, not a bad gig, three appointments so far, I'm meeting with them to update things, and do a PS&G model with LEAP (Lifetime Ecconomic Accelartion Process) fact find.

As far as your interview goes, please, please check and double check that you have fully charged batterys in your portable BS decector (You DO have one don't you?)

Some agency people are like the high school kid and the cheer leader, he'll promise her anything to get his way.....

Good luck!

How was the interview process at Mass different than New York Life? I am asking because I have set up time with both.

How was the interview process at Mass different than New York Life? I am asking because I have set up time with both.

I was offered a job with New York life after the inital interview.

With FMC/Mass Mutual, I was offered the job after the forth meeting, and after having an interview with the GA.

Neither of them pulled any punches with me.

The BS dectector remained silent during the entire time.

Mass Mutual has an edge over NY Life, IMO given it Mutual status, and the fact that it's got over 500 Billion in assets. The products are excellent, and the training comes out head over heels over the other carriers that I interviewed with.

I don't like Kool-Aid so please don't ask me not to drink it.

As I mentioned, I am not 100% tied to MasMutual, I can, and am appointed with other carriers. This, plus the training, plus the Branding Quality of MassMutual made this a no-brainer decision for me.

Opinons above are my own and are representative of my own experiences, your experiences may be better or worse than my own. Void where prohibited.

Thanks for the info. I thought New York Life was also a mutual company? Did any of those two you interviewed for do drug screenings?

Thanks for the info. I thought New York Life was also a mutual company? Did any of those two you interviewed for do drug screenings?

NYL is also a mutual. Both are top notch companies. Neither do drug screen (I know that made your day, J/K). NYL is a co. you keep for life (good pension for good producers). Mass is much more flexible like Reuben mentioned. If going independent sometime in future is an important consideration I would choose Mass.

It all depends on the agency but passing the interviews should be the least of your concern. They are ALWAYS looking for new agents with "potential" so just look straight at them in the eyes and say "I know I could do this" and they'll hire you. DON'T FORGET TO DEMAND NEW AGENT FINANCING! jmo fwiw

Again, thanks for the replies. To be honest I haven't thought that much into the independent side of things. My main concern is that all I know about the insurance industry is what I had to study for my license and I have no sales experience. So I want a company that will train me properly and have the name recognition that will benefit me as someone with no experience. When you say its easier to go independent with Mass, why is that? Is it very difficult with New York Life? Also, I know the job will be 100% commission, but do any of these companies offer any training salary? Thanks.

Again, thanks for the replies. To be honest I haven't thought that much into the independent side of things. My main concern is that all I know about the insurance industry is what I had to study for my license and I have no sales experience. So I want a company that will train me properly and have the name recognition that will benefit me as someone with no experience. When you say its easier to go independent with Mass, why is that? Is it very difficult with New York Life? Also, I know the job will be 100% commission, but do any of these companies offer any training salary? Thanks.

Everyone I've talked to heard of NYL but not Mass. IMO you'll find what you're looking for at either place (good training). With Mass you can later become their broker and keep your books. Financing = salary for new agents but you have to ask for it. They won't volunteer the information. Again both are good companies and a lot of big producers work for both as career agents.

Everyone I've talked to heard of NYL but not Mass. IMO you'll find what you're looking for at either place (good training). With Mass you can later become their broker and keep your books. Financing = salary for new agents but you have to ask for it. They won't volunteer the information. Again both are good companies and a lot of big producers work for both as career agents.

How do you go about asking for "financing"? Is there no way to keep your books at NYL and still go independent?

Back