Life Insurance Sales Old School Door to Door

The "I have it through work" is a very common objection you will have to learn how to overcome.

Which is half the reason I said to be assumptive in your language that they already have some. Otherwise that will immediately come out and they will try to shut you down with it. You'll still get it, but it is easier to pivot from "let's review what you have" than "do you have any".

I'd rather educate and add-on to someone who already has it, than convince someone who doesn't have it, the value and importance of it.

Whether you're going B2B or walking residential, like Vol said, you're better off assuming they have it since 62% of consumers have it...

Just make sure that when you leave after your sale, they don't think about you like this:

----------

Oh, and if you're going to get into a debate about term vs permanent, make sure you win:

Last edited by a moderator:
How many agents selling individual policies of any kind still do the old "knock on the door -wipe the feet as you lean in" cold call type of residential door to door sales anymore? Between crime statistics and the world on immediate upload digital quotes and enrollment I thought that Fuller brush type approach was long gone. Not B2B but cold call residential neighborhoods.

How many agents selling individual policies of any kind still do the old "knock on the door -wipe the feet as you lean in" cold call type of residential door to door sales anymore? Between crime statistics and the world on immediate upload digital quotes and enrollment I thought that Fuller brush type approach was long gone. Not B2B but cold call residential neighborhoods.

I couldn't tell you about agents, but EVERY EDWARD JONES investment rep has had to door-knock to get 25 new contacts every single day to put into their contact management system. That's how they train their new reps, and, in my opinion, makes them the #1 training firm.

I spent time with Combined Insurance and learned "the Combined shuffle"... but the focus was only business owners.

The key is to present yourself as a professional, not as a girl scout, or some kid peddling magazines "to keep kids off drugs" or other bs like that. A lanyard with an ID badge wouldn't hurt. I made one based on my insurance license with my picture from my drivers license.

My son just trained with Combined and they are all over going cold calling door to door in a residential neighborhood - I am not a fan of that since everyday there is a news article with a robbery or home invasion scare - and we live in a very upscale town - I just think in 2017 things have changed and that is a dangerous way to get leads - just curious as to how many agents still go that route.I remember when I worked for 5 minutes for Lincoln Heritage they taught "to get sales you have to go in the hood and in the wood" - passed on the 'hood and wasted time in the woods - maybe it works in a big city - I prefer my radio, print and post card leads who call me

Maybe, but in the big city, you have to be GOOD at it, because we get a lot of people who aren't. In the 'sticks'... you just have to be friendly and not an ***hole because they just don't get called on as much. (I've done both and never had a problem.)

If anyone is extra paranoid, you show them your insurance license just to show that you're a professional. If they're still paranoid, you can't help them. You just leave quickly and thank them for their time. After all, it is their property. If police are called, you show them your ID and your insurance license, and you'll generally be just fine.

Back