Lists, DNC, SAN Questions

Lainey

Good afternoon,

I'm looking at ListShack and was thinking about signing up but saw that I need a SAN number. I had one when I worked for Bankers a couple years ago but don't know if I need a new one. I'm guessing it didn't go with me since I was a captive agent. I went to the FTC site and saw that to register they require your organization name. As an independent agent I'm not sure what to put in that field. Would I just put my name? Also, do I need anything else to call from a list? There are threads on here that mention calling systems or software and I'm just not sure what they're talking about (I was just going to dial from my cell phone).

Thanks in advance for your help. This seemed like it would be simple enough and hopefully it is. I just want to be sure I cover my bases and get off on the right foot.

Lainey :)

Last edited:
I'm sure Josh would answer soon, but for a business or organizational name, I'd use your first and last name along with "insurance services" or something similar.

You can just use your agency name (Lainey Insurance Agency) or even just your name, depending on how you do business.

The cost of up to 5 area codes is 0.00, so its usually not a problem. This will give you the san that is required for most list sites. Additional area codes do cost additional $$$.

You can download a free software package to do the DNC scrub at: Predictive Dialers System, Mortgage Automatic Dialer, Make My Calls
The link on the page to download the software isn't overly obvious, but if you look, you'll see the text that is the correct link.

Keep in mind, most sites that allow you to download DNC scrubbed lists, do the scrub on a routine basis, but you are legally liable for the scrubbing, so it is good to do yourself.

Dan

I'm sure Josh would answer soon, but for a business or organizational name, I'd use your first and last name along with "insurance services" or something similar.

Thank you DHK! I was kind of thinking the same thing. I'm really floundering lately and need to try something new or get a "real" job. Not ready to concede to that yet so it's time to turn it up. I realized after posting this that I put it in the wrong category. I see now there's a category for cold calls, etc. Oh well, glad you found me. ;)

Good afternoon,

I'm looking at ListShack and was thinking about signing up but saw that I need a SAN number. I had one when I worked for Bankers a couple years ago but don't know if I need a new one. I'm guessing it didn't go with me since I was a captive agent. I went to the FTC site and saw that to register they require your organization name. As an independent agent I'm not sure what to put in that field. Would I just put my name? Also, do I need anything else to call from a list? There are threads on here that mention calling systems or software and I'm just not sure what they're talking about (I was just going to dial from my cell phone).

Thanks in advance for your help. This seemed like it would be simple enough and hopefully it is. I just want to be sure I cover my bases and get off on the right foot.

Yes, just put your last name followed by Insurance Services. You can use any phone to start calling, then switch when it's warranted.

Good afternoon,

Hey Lainey,

To recap on a few things that I'm sure have been covered well, the DNC scrubbing software that djs mentioned is awesome because it's free.

As far as the mechanics go, the organization making the calls needs to register. For a lot of captive shops they will have a master SAN nationwide, but it doesn't cost anything to register yourself for the up to 5 area codes.

A lot of folks don't bother dealing with it, but we put the disclaimer on there so that folks are at least aware of what's going on and how to be compliant. At some point in 2017 we should be releasing a DNC scrubbing tool that's web-based, but we've had a lot on our plate lately (fortunately all good things) which has been slowing us down a bit.

Hey Lainey,

To recap on a few things that I'm sure have been covered well, the DNC scrubbing software that djs mentioned is awesome because it's free.

As far as the mechanics go, the organization making the calls needs to register. For a lot of captive shops they will have a master SAN nationwide, but it doesn't cost anything to register yourself for the up to 5 area codes.

A lot of folks don't bother dealing with it, but we put the disclaimer on there so that folks are at least aware of what's going on and how to be compliant. At some point in 2017 we should be releasing a DNC scrubbing tool that's web-based, but we've had a lot on our plate lately (fortunately all good things) which has been slowing us down a bit.

Thank you, Josh! I appreciate your help.

Back