Locked Up...(but Wants Life Insurance)

Very stupid question...I think. I have a fex client who's brother is behind bars. She wants to cover him and I told her I don't think its possible...however I want to check with you guys first.

Would anyone touch this?

Very stupid question...I think. I have a fex client who's brother is behind bars. She wants to cover him and I told her I don't think its possible...however I want to check with you guys first.

Would anyone touch this?

Well, you obviously wouldn't want to use a company that does a POS PHI.

Is he old enough for GI?

CalStar goes down to 18. It's term with a 1 year wait on non-accidental death. Here's the health questions.
V
V
V

Qualification Question #2: Has the enrolling member or enrolling spouse or child been diagnosed as Terminally Ill?
(Terminal illness is a disease that cannot be cured or adequately treated and that is reasonably expected to result in the death of the patient within the next 36 months)
YES
NO

Qualification Question #3: Is the enrolling member, spouse or child confined to a Hospital, Hospice Facility or any Assisted Living Facility?
YES
NO

Qualification Question #4: Is the enrolling member UNABLE TO WORK a minimum of 20 hours or more per week on a regular basis.
YES
NO

Before you ask, Qualification Question #1 is the age.

Question #2 doesn't ask about confinement in prison. LOL

Well, you obviously wouldn't want to use a company that does a POS PHI.

Is he old enough for GI?

CalStar goes down to 18. It's term with a 1 year wait on non-accidental death. Here's the health questions.
V
V
V

Qualification Question #2: Has the enrolling member or enrolling spouse or child been diagnosed as Terminally Ill?
(Terminal illness is a disease that cannot be cured or adequately treated and that is reasonably expected to result in the death of the patient within the next 36 months)
YES
NO

Qualification Question #3: Is the enrolling member, spouse or child confined to a Hospital, Hospice Facility or any Assisted Living Facility?
YES
NO

Qualification Question #4: Is the enrolling member UNABLE TO WORK a minimum of 20 hours or more per week on a regular basis.
YES
NO

Before you ask, Qualification Question #1 is the age.

Question #2 doesn't ask about confinement in prison. LOL

I don't trust CalStar. I had a page with several links to them on my website and they somehow deleted one of the links off my site. Now...I don't drink or use drugs so I'm very certain I didn't do it myself without me telling myself I did it. Their tech guy denied it, of course. I told them to pack sand and took them off my site. Good riddance.

I don't trust CalStar. I had a page with several links to them on my website and they somehow deleted one of the links off my site. Now...I don't drink or use drugs so I'm very certain I didn't do it myself without me telling myself I did it. Their tech guy denied it, of course. I told them to pack sand and took them off my site. Good riddance.

I look at them as a very last resort. I would never have them on my website.

There link also has a dental plan on there and I'll only offer CUL's DVR plan.

When I signed up for it I told the FMO that I hope I never use it, and it'll only be used when nothing else will work...especially at 20%. He agreed.

It's my understanding, and correct me if I'm wrong...that no company will write anyone currently in; or going to, jail.

I would also think that if you could have to be a company that accepted someone in jail, they would also have to accept a 3rd party payer.

A company that does not do a POS health check, since they may not have access to a phone.

I would think GI be about the only choice and as someone said earlier...then you have age issues.

Pre-Need? Is that an option in PA?

Last edited:
Maybe look for an AD policy that would work. He still would have to get a wet sig but maybe the relative can do that on a visit and mail it to you.

What a niche. If they are murdered in jail it will pay.

I highly doubt it. Read the exclusions, I have never seen an accidental death policy that did not exclude while incarcerated.

As to Calstar, I would say one that question #4 applies, unable to work. Additionally, as I recall they require the insured to sign up themselves and do random verifications.

Back