Looking for a Home

warriorqueen3

I am a newly licensed life insurance agent in NC. I have heard the debates about going captive vs. independent but I just don't see needing to pay $600 a week for leads in order to start working. I like to manage my own time, but I would prefer the support and training of a big company.

So my question is this. I recently had a phone call with a woman from Western and Southern Life. According to some of the other threads on this forum they appear to be a solid company for a new agent. Are there any other companies like W&S that I should consider? I've heard horror stories about Aflac, NYLife, and Farmer's so I'm staying far, far away from them.

TIA

Sure, you don't have to spend 600 a weeks in leads to survive in life insurance.

But the question is, what are you going to do to find prospects then? The company doesn't matter if you don't have prospects. And none of the companies you listed will provide you with leads or prospects.

. According to some of the other threads on this forum they appear to be a solid company for a new agent. Are there any other companies like W&S that I should consider? I've heard horror stories about Aflac, NYLife, and Farmer's so I'm staying far, far away from them.

TIA

Which threads were those? Because there are probably more bad threads about them on the forum than good.

And I dont know what horror stories you have heard about NYL, but they are the cream of the crop in the life world. To include them with the likes of Aflac and Farmers is almost criminal.

NYL has some of the best training in the industry. MM, Guardian, NWM, Met, Pru, Penn are all good captive careers too. Those 7 would be my first picks for a captive career, hands down.

But as Vol pointed out, no one you have mentioned so far provides free leads (other than a cold list of businesses to call, and the occasional call into the office that you might get if there are no experienced agents around that day to take it)

I am looking for both.

If you want training then a career agency such as the ones I mentioned would be your best bet.

Some IMOs provide training for green agents, most dont. The ones that do offer, its just so-so training from what I have seen. Or the training is very specific to a single product type.

Plenty of IMOs provide leads. Some charge full price. Others charge a reduced price (or give them free) for reduced comp.

The career shops do not provide leads. But they do teach you how to prospect so that you do not need to purchase leads (or be beholden to a certain IMO because they are the only source of your prospects). And prospected leads close a lot easier than internet leads that 5 agents have called on already before.

Last edited:
I'm starting to think this was a mistake. :no:

What was a mistake? This industry?

Not necessarily. But you really need to decide on what area you want to specialize in. That will help narrow down your search. Med Sups are actually not a bad place to start if you dont think life sales is your thing. Then you can cross sell life to your medsup clients. There is probably better training from the indy medsup IMOs than the indy life IMOs... jmo

On the life side, Met might not be a bad start if you can get hired on. They give a small salary for the first 2 or 3 months to help get you started. But to truly learn the life industry (non Final Expense) then one of the career shops is your best bet to get the training you need.

Btw I officially started this industry with Aflac. Then after a year I went to NYL. Then 2 years after that I went indy.

Last edited:
Back