Mixing Religion and Personal Finances

Robert Barney

Guru
1000 Post Club
As a gung-ho Christian I am always VERY unhappy to read stories like this:

Mark Sanchez cheated out of $7.8M by ‘good Christian’ scammer | New York Post

While I am not ashamed to tell someone that I am a Christian, I would never encourage someone to do business with me because I am a Christian or that I can be trusted because I am a Christian.

Real Christians know that "For all have sinned...", and the "all" includes me.

One of the greatest apostles, Paul, liked to say he was the "worst sinner". That may have been true, but then there was me.

Lesson to be learned, always be skeptical of the people you are doing business with, and keep a watchful eye for signs they may not be on the up and up.

Mark Sanchez learned why you can't take your hand off the wheel, no matter what Carrie Underwood says.

This thread is mistitled. Most people should be very careful stewards of their finances in accordance to their faith.

This thread should be titled regarding affinity fraud.

A good Christian (or nearly any religious person) is defined by their character and by what they do... not necessarily by what they say. I'm sure Bernie Madoff was a 'good Jew'.

That being said, affinity fraud isn't going away any time soon.

This thread is mistitled.

The title is completely reasonable, providing someone reads the introductory comments.

Consumers need to be more careful to not issue blank checks in the trust department simply because someone appears to share their religious views.

The man who fumbled with his butt did what?

5ef969f73101f4328933538ed8b33a00cff5bdaca4ebb5b57751e6a41f8dd43e.jpg

----------

This thread is mistitled. Most people should be very careful stewards of their finances in accordance to their faith.

This thread should be titled regarding affinity fraud.

A good Christian (or nearly any religious person) is defined by their character and by what they do... not necessarily by what they say. I'm sure Bernie Madoff was a 'good Jew'.

That being said, affinity fraud isn't going away any time soon.

Yeah you're right. One can't help but mix what they believe with what they do. Religious belief or any kind of belief.

Watch out for people that make religion or any affinity a big deal because fraudsters use them to get people. I know of a fraud who has changed religions, favorite football teams and even nationality to keep scamming people.

I'm even more cautious when someone promotes the fact that they are trustworthy because they are Christian.

I never tell people I can be trusted because I'm an Atheist. I can be trusted because of my ethics. (And my ethics are not based upon a fear of going to hell).

Rick

Yeah you're right. One can't help but mix what they believe with what they do. Religious belief or any kind of belief.

Watch out for people that make religion or any affinity a big deal because fraudsters use them to get people. I know of a fraud who has changed religions, favorite football teams and even nationality to keep scamming people.

I disagree. I never talk about religion, politics, or sports to clients. Well....sometimes about sports. Go Bucs!!! :laugh:

The one's that are selling and promoting the fact that they are Christians and that is why you should do business with them... are usually the one's you should steer clear of. They'll pluck you like a chicken.

I'm even more cautious when someone promotes the fact that they are trustworthy because they are Christian.

I never tell people I can be trusted because I'm an Atheist. I can be trusted because of my ethics. (And my ethics are not based upon a fear of going to hell).

Rick

I am a Christian. However, in business I have learned that the louder one claims to be a Christian the more I need to keep my hands on my wallet.

I am a Christian. However, in business I have learned that the louder one claims to be a Christian the more I need to keep my hands on my wallet.

Next thing you know they'll even commercialize Christmas.

Back