Need Help with Hard to Place Case.

Aram Fingal

Guru
100+ Post Club
Female 5'5" 320 pounds. Her blood pressure, glucose and cholesterol are all good. She takes Synthroid for a thyroid problem. Is there ANY company that would take her? WA State if that makes a difference. She's looking for about $400K to $500K but any coverage options at all would be appreciated.

Female 5'5" 320 pounds. Her blood pressure, glucose and cholesterol are all good. She takes Synthroid for a thyroid problem. Is there ANY company that would take her? WA State if that makes a difference. She's looking for about $400K to $500K but any coverage options at all would be appreciated.

WHat is her date of birth (age)?

For anyone who cares, this is where this went:

I could not find any company that would insure her. If she had been about 20 pounds less, there were a couple. So I talked to her about accidental death coverage. A $500,000 policy was only about $35 per month. When I showed up for the appointment, I brought the pricing chart. She ended up buying the full family package with return of premium. $158 per month. She's an accountant so the ROP was really interesting to her. My instinct was to not even mention the ROP (bad instinct apparently). This was a really good reminder lesson on the old saying "Do not make the decision for the client, let them make their own decision".

She's currently on a weight loss program and we'll re-examine full LI later, but she said she'd probably keep the AD policy anyway which is why she went with the ROP.

At 320, she could have lost that weight quickly if she put her mind to it. Selling an AD policy instead of what she really wanted and needed isn't something I would have done. $35 a month turned into $158 by adding family and ROP? Wow.

Code:
At 320, she could have lost that weight quickly if she put her mind to it. Selling an AD policy instead of what she really wanted and needed isn't something I would have done. $35 a month turned into $158 by adding family and ROP? Wow.

The companies require that the weight be off for a year (well they add 50% back until it's been a year so she would have to drop twice as much). We're going to go for the traditional LI as soon as possible. She said she would probably keep this policy even when she can get a regular term.

It had not been my intention to sell her the higher premium. I just wanted to get her SOME kind of life policy until she could get better. I had brought the rate sheet to show her the different face amount options. She asked me about the family plans below. And I explained the ROP because it was also listed.

This is just a perfect example of why you shouldn't pre-decide for the client. I'm just as guilty as anyone of letting my past experiences sway my approach. But you should present all options, every time, and let the client decide for themselves.

Back