New Agent. Where to Get Leads

apstanford53

Expert
I have only recently become a life insurance agent, but i have had a little succes. Ive sold one policy and have an appointment set for this week. So not too bad, right?

Anyway, I have only been cold calling a list of five thousand people that i bought for a hundred bucks. But, i have been doing some research online and most agents are buying mostly quality leads from one company or another. The problem is i csnt tell if the reviews for each company are REAL reviews or just reviews the company writes to make them seem like a great company.

Sooo, my question is, what lead company should i use, should i buy internet leads, preset appointments, direct mail? How can i get more appointments? Honestly, any advice would be very much appreciated, but keep in mind the amount of money i can spend on these is no more than 250, anymore and i'll be returning my dauhhters christmas presents so wen can pay the rent lol.

Life insurance can take some time to get paid on. How tight is your budget after xmas? Is the $250 all you have until you get paid on the policy you wrote or do you have income from some other source? If not you'll want to target people who need policies that aren't underwritten so that you get paid quickly. Are you appointed with someone who has a guaranteed issue policy with no underwriting?

Don't spend it on direct mailers. DM can be good but you need to throw more money at it consistently to get it to work. One $250 order is unlikely to be very fruitful, although you could say the same about internet leads but at least you know you'd be getting in touch with some people that way. Also don't spend your money on "exclusive" internet leads. People tend to put their info into several sites at a time so your "exclusive" lead is often still getting called by a dozen other agents. With a budget that tight you might be best off door knocking and or cold calling another list. Maybe try some aged (aka used) leads because you can get a bunch of them for cheap?

Do you sell anything other than life? I'm just asking because I've had the best luck cold calling for medicare supplements and that's really helped me stretch my similarly tight budget and then I cross sell after writing the med sup.

You may be blaming the quality of the leads... but I would first look at the quality of your training.

People don't want life insurance... they want what life insurance (and a quality agent) can DO for them and their family. Otherwise, it's a "my policy is better than your policy" replacement game.

What is your script, offer, or USP (Unique Selling Proposition) that you are offering this list of 5,000 that you've been calling on?

See i dont know if i am or not... The guy that recruited me told me that most of the carriers do "just in time appointments" so im really only appointed with baltimore life rihht now. The policy i sold is through transamerica, so if he told me the truth about the appointments.... Heck i dunno, im really confused and considerinh switching IMO or whatever, ive been looking into the leazer group? Sounds pretty good. They have leads as low as 3 bucks and they said if i buy $80 worth i should get about 4k in ap....

As far as having other insurance lines no... I hot into life insurance because i believe in it. I find it hard to believe in paying 400 a month for health insurance and still have to pay for every dr visit lol. If i dont believe in it i dont wanna sell it.

But one guy told me about aged lead stor dot com (sorry cant post links yet) and they are really cheap!! Is it best to get one day old leads or older ones??

And yeah out of the policy i sold i will have 250 to invest in leads.

See i dont know if i am or not... The guy that recruited me told me that most of the carriers do "just in time appointments" so im really only appointed with baltimore life rihht now. The policy i sold is through transamerica, so if he told me the truth about the appointments.... Heck i dunno, im really confused and considerinh switching IMO or whatever, ive been looking into the leazer group? Sounds pretty good. They have leads as low as 3 bucks and they said if i buy $80 worth i should get about 4k in ap....

I wouldn't bank on that. You get what you pay for. At this point you need to get in front of people and don't have the budget for "good" leads but don't want to waste money on crap leads either.

And yeah out of the policy i sold i will have 250 to invest in leads.

If it were me I'd keep cold calling, call everyone I know, ask them who they know that I can call, door knock neighborhoods in between appointments/if someone stands you up.

I'm not familiar with the two groups you mentioned but that doesn't mean anything. How's your training? Do you have someone you can bring on appointments? Do they offer any "new agent" help in the form of a marketing budget or some old leads?

I wouldn't bank on that. You get what you pay for. At this point you need to get in front of people and don't have the budget for "good" leads but don't want to waste money on crap leads either.

If it were me I'd keep cold calling, call everyone I know, ask them who they know that I can call, door knock neighborhoods in between appointments/if someone stands you up.

I'm not familiar with the two groups you mentioned but that doesn't mean anything. How's your training? Do you have someone you can bring on appointments? Do they offer any "new agent" help in the form of a marketing budget or some old leads?

Im getting nothing from my current company!! All i have is one contact that seems to be the owner and he lives in florida and me in north carolina, all i het from my contact is a call once a day, no training, no script, no anything except for a "wing it" philosophy.

As for TLG at least theyre in the same state as me, and as for training they have a quite a bit on their site. And the leads that are 3 bucks are direct mIl leads that didnt answer the first time they called.

Ill paste it on here, keep in mind these are cold calls though
Hey Mr./Mrs._____________?
Hey this is_____________ with the the mortgage protection center.
(pause)
Listen, I'm sorry to bother you, I know you're probably busy, but i was calling to see if you guys had a mortgage protection on your home?
If "yes"
Perfect! I'm really glad to hear that, not many people do. What company do you have your's with? _____________
Okay, well when's the last time your agent came out and did a policy review?____________
Oh... Well you're really supposed to have review at least once a year, because there are more products and better policies that come out each year that might be better for you. Tell you what, when would be a good time to have an agent come out and do your review for you?
If "no"
Oh no..., well mortgage protection is a policy that will actually pay your monthly mortgage payments for you, if you get sick or injured and cant work. It will even pay off your entire mortgage for you when you die. And if you dont use it you can get every penny you paid back.

What would happen if something like this happened to your family?___________
(Agree and sympathize)
Well when would be a good time to have an agent come out and help you with a policy?
The close
Okay so what time would be best for you? Great so i have the appointment at ________ o'clock on __________. Right?
Perfect, well we have your address at_______________ is that correct? Alright great, well our top agent Aaron Stanford
Will see you on _______ at______ o'clock
Thank you, and have a great day!

TLG is an NAA spin-off. I don't know what this group can do for you now but I would bet your commissions are going to be on the low end. If they are telling you that you should make 4K buying 80 dollars worth of 3 dollar leads....uh, I would wonder about that. If everyone could spend 80 bucks to make 4 grand, wouldn't everyone be doing that?
Be careful about which opportunity you enter into.

Yeah NAA seems like a rip off, the initial contract with tlg is 75%... However, i am curious... They said if a carrier only pays 80% advanced commission then i would get 75% of the 80% is that right??

Oh and what was your opinion on the pitch??

Back