Now is the Time to Talk About Death!

Mark

Guru
5000 Post Club
Georgia
We all watch the news or have heard about all of the famous people that have died.
Billy M. just died at age 50 all of the sudden from a heart problem. I don’t think he saw this coming nor had a clue about it.

No one wants to think about death or dying, but it is our job to bring it up to them. A lot of agents find it hard to start talking to people on the streets or public. But it would be very easy to talk to anyone about Billy, Ed, Michael and the tons of other people that just died on the news. It is on everyone’s minds right now.

I was at Moe’s and started talking with a stranger about Billy M. since it was playing on the tv in the room. I asked him some questions and acted dumb. Was he not like 50 years old? Do you think he saw it coming? I really hate it for his family and what all they are going through. He just got his own tv show and I liked him. I asked him how much he thought Billy was worth. I asked the guy if he thought Billy M. had any life insurance. His answer was yes, without even pausing for 1 second. I asked him if he had any life insurance or C.I. Insurance. He asked me what was C.I. Insurance and it was on from there. I had my foot in the door so to speak. Of course the guy was in a hurry and I didn’t have long, but I was able to give him my business card and at least light a fire in him and at least made him think about insurance.

Everyone is talking about Michael, Billy, Ed and I bet you mind just said their whole names. You don’t even have to think about it and just comes out. 50 years old is way too young to die. Who thinks they will die at 50 years old? How many of us are prepared?

Death is a hot topic all of the sudden because of the news. So bring it up and help your clients prepare for the unknown.

No one wants to think about death or dying, but it is our job to bring it up to them. A lot of agents find it hard to start talking to people on the streets or public

Your post reminds me of the life insurance agents depicted in Bill Murray's "Groundhog Day", and Woody Allen's "Take The Money and Run".

Have you seen either one? Don't a lot of people run the other way when they see you coming?

thanks for sharing mark, i know this will plant a seed in the minds of some of us agents. i can get the conversation started but most people i encounter take my card and never call. what can i say or do to get the people i encounter to actually use the contact info on the card? it seems that so many people want to wait for a convenient time or for everything to be just right before considering life insurance. what is the bridege between finding the pain and getting some action?

i'm loling at you, moonlight. how do you open the door for a conversation? what do you do to get people to call you instead of "running the other way when they see you coming." at least give mark some credit for at least sharing how he opens the door for a conversation.

Instead of just giving them a card get their phone number and address if possible and call them that evening and try to set an appointment with them. If they wont set an appointment go over to their house and say i just have a short presentation on life insurance.

Well insurance is a numbers game is it not? They are simply another lead that you can find all over the streets. They might slam the door in your face but then you hit every neighbor in the neighborhood.

The trick is to get people talking about life insurance. Get them to talk about the problem they don't want to talk about and then solve it.

It is a numbers game.

Back