Policies Are in Trouble - Need Help.

OK. I think that may help solve things for one policy but I have 2 UL's that are in the same boat. The agent that contacted me seemed to indicate that if they converted the policy and used my existing cash values to fund new whole life policy then the conversion from UL to WL would be guaranteed but from the sounds of things, perhaps I need to double check that. The other policy is not in very good shape as it only has a cash value of $7400 and when I contacted that agent he had no suggestions other then paying the higher premium. The bad news is that my current agent on the second UL became my agent by default when the agent that wrote the policy retired and has never serviced or supported the policy. I'm also convinced that this agent was totally clueless of the problem as he had to have one of his staff do the analysis of my situation when I presented him with the facts. The good news is that my nephew is an agent for the same company in the same town and I can transfer the policy to him if he has any solutions. I have sent an email to my nephew asking him for advice and he would never screw over his uncle. That being said would the general advice be to cash in that policy and take the cash value if my nephew can't come up with a solution?

Would one of the policies happen to be with AIG/AGLA? .. They only only permitting their crashing ULs to be converted to an expensive Interest Sensitive Whole Life.

Would one of the policies happen to be with AIG/AGLA? .. They only only permitting their crashing ULs to be converted to an expensive Interest Sensitive Whole Life.

I doubt it, only because I don't believe AGLA has a B/D or VULs.

Again, you need three things for each policy.

1. Inforce illustration as is. Current premium, current interest rate, and current expenses.
2. Inforce illustration with current premium, current expenses and minimum interest going forward.
3. Inforce illustration with premium necessary to carry the policy to maturity at current interest rate and current expenses.

Unless some others, I hate to cast doubt upon your new agent. I'm sure he means wells. Unfortunately, the only way he generates a commission is if you buy a new policy or you give him referrals to people who buy a new policy. The first is obviously easier, so he is more inclined to look at solutions that replace your current policy versus fix it.

Again, this does not mean your new agent does not have the best of intentions. I'm sure he does, but he is going to be vastly more inclined to go with any solution that involves a new policy. Also, a new policy really may be necessary. Unlike the rest of us, he probably has seen an inforce illustration of your policy. He really does have more information than any of us.

I would listen to what he has to say, but I would also have him lay out why your current policy can't be saved before doing anything.

Sorry, but this advice is way off base

On a personal note, I never sell ULs for the reason you have discovered about your own policies. There are many agents that sell them but very few do so responsibly.

And what evidence do you have to make the claim that most agents who sell UL do not do it responsibly?

Before you answer, let me point out that GI & SI WL has a higher lapse rate than UL does, even over the long term. And UL only has a 1%-2% higher lapse rate than WL does. Those are all LIMRA statistics.

----------

Since the insurance portion of all ULs is annual renewable term and that term cost goes up every year, it will continue to go up each year on your birthday for the rest of your life. If you are in good health then this option may only kick the can down the road and you'll have this same problem again 20 years from now. I would not go with this option.

It is impossible to make that claim with any certainty at all. What you said is 100% JUST A GUESS.

It is entirely possible that raising the premium to $250/quarter could GUARANTEE that the policy stay inforce until age 100.

Without seeing the inforce illustration you have no clue if it is "kicking the can down the road" or not.

To flat out say "not to go with this option", is totally baseless and irresponsible.

The correct advice is to look at the Guaranteed Illustration using that premium amount. The goal is to have a premium that will take the policy to age 100 on the guaranteed illustration. Then you can compare that premium to any alternatives.

----------

Same as above.

Same as above.... you have no way of knowing this without seeing the Inforce Illustration.

----------

I think this is your best option. Cut your losses here. Convert this non-guaranteed policy to one that will be guaranteed for the rest of your life. Then take that money you save and buy a new whole life policy for as much death benefit as you can afford. Bear in mind you probably won't have as high of death benefit as you had but at least everything will be guaranteed to the day you die no matter how old you are when that day comes. I think you'll be happy that your plans for after your passing will be unconditionally guaranteed.

Again, how can you say this is the best option when you are clueless as to what the numbers are???

Then you want them to go buy a new policy with a higher cost of insurance than they are probably paying now. Yet you have no clue if for the same premium they could keep the existing policy with the higher DB! :no:

----------

If an agent shows you what is called a "GUL" (Guaranteed Universal Life) and say that it is guaranteed then that is not entirely true. There are requirements that have to be made for that "guarantee" to be maintained. Any product with "UL" in the name is not guaranteed (without limitations) for the life of the insured now matter how old he or she is at death. Some here will disagree with me and in the past I have challenged them to show me any UL contract they think is unconditionally guaranteed and noone will produce one.

Totally 100% not true. Most any UL policy can be 100% guaranteed. And no Im not talking about GUL..... but it is guaranteed too.... but in a different way than I am referencing.

The guaranteed column is always guaranteed. And most any policy can be designed so that the guaranteed column endows.

----------

Even if a responsible agent sells a UL and makes the client aware of the limitations and dangers then most people a few years down the road will forget everything the agent said. All most people remember is they have a policy and how much they're paying for it. There are aware clients that know everything necessary about their policy but these are rare. For these and other reasons I don't recommend any kind of UL for a client to buy or for an agent to sell.

A WL can lapse just like a UL can. If you dont pay your premium then it will eventually lapse, and often the UL will last a longer time without premiums being paid than the WL can.

An agent that actually knows what they are doing can design a UL so that it will not implode down the road. As I said before, you can design the policy so that the guaranteed column goes out to age 100+.

And your argument about GUL holds very little weight. Many GUL policies have a grace period or provisions so that if you miss a premium you can reinstate the Secondary Guarantee.

Your post is basically a bunch of unsubstantiated scaremongering without any actual facts or information to back up your recommendations or assertions.

Whats amazing is only 1 person mentioned this guys horrific health as far as insurance goes. He could easily be rated 4 or 6 tables which means if he wants to keep his insurance he'd be a fool to just not start funding his current policy heavily as surely his present policys cost of insurance is much less than a newly heavily rated policys cost of insurance

Whats amazing is only 1 person mentioned this guys horrific health as far as insurance goes. He could easily be rated 4 or 6 tables which means if he wants to keep his insurance he'd be a fool to just not start funding his current policy heavily as surely his present policys cost of insurance is much less than a newly heavily rated policys cost of insurance

Exactly.

When I was new to the business I was given a large book of old UL policies to work that were sold in the late 80s and early 90s. I know UL very well.

Sure a good many were not funded sufficiently. But more often than not it made sense to fund the policy at the appropriate level vs. taking out a new policy with a MUCH higher COI. Often a combo of lowering the DB and increasing premiums was used. Sometimes switching from Opt 2 to Opt 1, etc. etc.

I didnt make a lot of new life sales because I did the right thing. But I did well from cross selling annuities because they trusted me after I did the right thing. :yes:
I didnt scare them into taking a financial loss :nah:

Sorry, but this advice is way off base

And what evidence do you have to make the claim that most agents who sell UL do not do it responsibly?

Before you answer, let me point out that GI & SI WL has a higher lapse rate than UL does, even over the long term. And UL only has a 1%-2% higher lapse rate than WL does. Those are all LIMRA statistics.

----------

It is impossible to make that claim with any certainty at all. What you said is 100% JUST A GUESS.

It is entirely possible that raising the premium to $250/quarter could GUARANTEE that the policy stay inforce until age 100.

Without seeing the inforce illustration you have no clue if it is "kicking the can down the road" or not.

To flat out say "not to go with this option", is totally baseless and irresponsible.

The correct advice is to look at the Guaranteed Illustration using that premium amount. The goal is to have a premium that will take the policy to age 100 on the guaranteed illustration. Then you can compare that premium to any alternatives.

----------

Same as above.... you have no way of knowing this without seeing the Inforce Illustration.

----------

Again, how can you say this is the best option when you are clueless as to what the numbers are???

Then you want them to go buy a new policy with a higher cost of insurance than they are probably paying now. Yet you have no clue if for the same premium they could keep the existing policy with the higher DB! :no:

----------

Totally 100% not true. Most any UL policy can be 100% guaranteed. And no Im not talking about GUL..... but it is guaranteed too.... but in a different way than I am referencing.

The guaranteed column is always guaranteed. And most any policy can be designed so that the guaranteed column endows.

----------

A WL can lapse just like a UL can. If you dont pay your premium then it will eventually lapse, and often the UL will last a longer time without premiums being paid than the WL can.

An agent that actually knows what they are doing can design a UL so that it will not implode down the road. As I said before, you can design the policy so that the guaranteed column goes out to age 100+.

And your argument about GUL holds very little weight. Many GUL policies have a grace period or provisions so that if you miss a premium you can reinstate the Secondary Guarantee.

Your post is basically a bunch of unsubstantiated scaremongering without any actual facts or information to back up your recommendations or assertions.

You're crazy if you think you're going to drag me into a repeat of this same augment we had a couple of years ago. Just search for that one, it will save us both alot of typing. My opinion on ULs will never change.

You're crazy if you think you're going to drag me into a repeat of this same augment we had a couple of years ago. Just search for that one, it will save us both alot of typing. My opinion on ULs will never change.

You mean Im crazy if I think presenting you with logic and facts will cause you to actually learn about the industry you claim to be a part of?

You clearly know nothing about how UL works. You clearly do now want to know. And you are giving a consumer UNSUITABLE and UNETHICAL advice concerning their policy.

Your recommendations were not based on facts or what is best for the consumer.

You can speak your ignorance all you want to with other agents. But when you give incorrect advice to a consumer I will call you out every time.

Last edited:
You mean Im crazy if I think presenting you with logic and facts will cause you to actually learn about the industry you claim to be a part of?

You clearly know nothing about how UL works. You clearly do now want to know. And you are giving a consumer UNSUITABLE and UNETHICAL advice concerning their policy.

Your recommendations were not based on facts or what is best for the consumer.

You can speak your ignorance all you want to with other agents. But when you give bad advice to a consumer I will call you out every time.

My opinion is not altered by your name calling nor your illusions of superiority. By the way, HERE is the original thread.

You kept saying that the OPs policies should be saved to last until he is age 100. Nice, but what if he lives to 101?

My opinion is not altered by your name calling nor your illusions of superiority. By the way, HERE is the original thread.

You kept saying that the OPs policies should be saved to last until he is age 100. Nice, but what if he lives to 101?

I did not call you any names.

A policy that old most likely endows at age 100 which is why I used that age. Obviously you want to guarantee coverage until the end of the required premium schedule.

And I could care less about the old thread.... you are giving baseless and nonfactual advice to a consumer. Plus you are basically scaremongering them into a situation which it would be impossible for you to know is a better option. I havent said anything to you about UL since then. But when you give advice that is factually wrong to a consumer Im going to say something.

You do not know how UL works, so you call it bad and tell them to switch to WL. Its absolutely terrible advice.

Last edited:
Back