Position Offered. Good or B.S ?

Neophyte

Ok, I was offered a position with a company that sells to Federal employees. Here are the supposeds:

1) I am to run a team of agents, whom I'll be getting an override off of.

2) I start in the field, running pre set appointments with government workers (postal, teachers, etc) at their place of employment. Supposedly the appointments are for group presentations and the policies I write will be auto deducted from their paycheck.

3) The avereage annual premuim is $2400. My commission is 50%.

4) I'm expected to produce no less than $24k in annual premium my first month, or I get the ax.

I hate to be such a noob, but well, I am. Are these numbers even possible in this field, or are they blowing smoke up my ass?

A little background on myself: Been in sales and sales management for 15 years, mostly commissioned, and running teams of 1099 reps. Superstar producer in multiple financial related industries. Not bragging, because lord knows I've failed at least as much as I've succeeded in life.

Any help that you all could render would be greatly appreciated. If I take this position, it means leaving my salaried (though relatively low paying) job where I'm at to go back to straight commission.

Re: Position Offered---Good or B.S???

$24K or you get the ax with $2,400 in average annual premiums so it's 10 deals per month. My main question is leads. They sell to federal employees - fine. Do they provide you with a list to call?

$24K or you get the ax with $2,400 in average annual premiums so it's 10 deals per month. My main question is leads. They sell to federal employees - fine. Do they provide you with a list to call?

Supposedly they set the appointments with groups of them based on inquiries from the employees, at their place of employment and send me there. Supposedly I'll be presenting to groups at a time and when I write a policy, the premiums are auto deducted from their paycheck.

I'm cautious about offers like this that seem to be great; earn 12K a month ($2,400 X .5 X 10 cases) run a team and earn overrides and oh, by the way, we'll set your appointments.

If that's all true, what happened to the last guy they hired?

Last edited:

If this deal were real, I think 90% of the industry would be lining up to compete with you for this position. Either it's a well kept secret, or something is amiss.

If this deal were real, I think 90% of the industry would be lining up to compete with you for this position. Either it's a well kept secret, or something is amiss.

+1... Sounds like NAA or Bankers..
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Also, how many agents are on the team you start with?

Last edited:

It does sound too good to be true. You should ask them if:

1)Do you have to pay for those pre set appointments
a) are those pre set appointments exclusive or are you the
tenth salesman that day.
2)Do you have to recruit your own agents, MLM anyone.
3)$2400 average annual life premium is a bit of wishful thinking.

Who will you be overriding. I would be leary about the presets, you are paying for a lead source with your drop in comm. make sure that you do have a steady stream of people to see. No one will get the ax if they are writing bus. 34,000, 24,000, 8,000 etc.

Anytime you are an unproven noob but YOU will be managing a team...it's a red flag.
The 2nd red flag is that you as a noob must produce a minimum of just under $600,000 annual premium starting your first month or you are canned for low production?
I don't think so.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Anytime you are an unproven noob but YOU will be managing a team...it's a red flag.
The 2nd red flag is that you as a noob must produce a minimum of just under $600,000 annual premium starting your first month or you are canned for low production?
I don't think so.
I guess I meant $300,000 annual. Still a LOT.

Last edited:

3)$2400 average annual life premium is a bit of wishful thinking.

Very much so, especially through payroll deduction! Most of the time your doing good to get $50/month payroll deducted, much less $200!!
And while fed employees do ok for themselves, they are not high earners by any means.

It sounds like they are blowing smoke someway or somehow.

Like others have said; what makes you qualified to run a team of agents if you are new to the business?
Do you consider yourself qualified to coach and train your agents on the products? Would an experienced agent consider you qualified?

(You might think that your sales experience in general qualifies you, but it does not. I have seen seasoned salesman who where top performers in other industries fail miserably in the first month...
If the guys you are talking to are experienced and knowledgeable agents, then they would know this!)

And furthermore, why are they not able to recruit an experienced agent for this position?
If its all they say it is, then even 20+ year agents would be beating down the doors to get this position.... so why arent they??

What happened to the last guy?

What training do they provide for you?

Do they have any proof that their system works? Do they have any proof that it is probable to average $2400 in premium per policy?

I would bet $100 that they dont!!!

I would ask them everyone of these questions before taking that job!

Latest posts

Back