Is It Possible my Dad Had Life Insurance Through my Moms Employer?

Alexandra77

Hi all!

I have one question.

My father died in 2008 from leukemia. At that time my mom was working and they both had health insurance from her employer.
My mom cant remember name of that health insurance company.

Not long ago one of our friends told us that his father also passed away from leukemia and his mom collected life insurance (50k) form his employer.
And his employer was - the same one where my mom worked 8 years ago!
My friend could`t tell us if that life policy was trough employer health insurance or something that he signed separately with his employer.

Im not very familiar with health insurances and life policies at all.

So my questions are:

1. Is it possible that life insurance policy was included in health insurance policy that my mom used to have at that time and she didnt know it?
2. Is life insurance policy trough employer connected with health insurance or it is totally separate thing employer give you to sign it?
3. If answer to my first or second question is yes, what we should do? Contact her ex employer or find out what health insurance she had at that time?

Thanx

Hi all!

I have one question.

My father died in 2008 from leukemia. At that time my mom was working and they both had health insurance from her employer.
My mom cant remember name of that health insurance company.

Not long ago one of our friends told us that his father also passed away from leukemia and his mom collected life insurance (50k) form his employer.
And his employer was - the same one where my mom worked 8 years ago!
My friend could`t tell us if that life policy was trough employer health insurance or something that he signed separately with his employer.

Im not very familiar with health insurances and life policies at all.

So my questions are:

1. Is it possible that life insurance policy was included in health insurance policy that my mom used to have at that time and she didnt know it?
2. Is life insurance policy trough employer connected with health insurance or it is totally separate thing employer give you to sign it?
3. If answer to my first or second question is yes, what we should do? Contact her ex employer or find out what health insurance she had at that time?

Thanx

Maybe.

1) Some health plans will have a small life benefit normally on the employee. It is possible there could have be a family benefit included or that she paid for through salary deduction.

2)Can be both.

3) Both

It has been a loon time since I have done ant group health. I would post the question in the health forum and have one of those agents give you a better informed answer.

Thanx

How do we find out if she had life insurance ?
Her ex employer changed their name 2 times since then. (it was grocery store chain).

Should we contact them directly or consult one attorney?

Thanx

How do we find out if she had life insurance ?
Her ex employer changed their name 2 times since then. (it was grocery store chain).

Should we contact them directly or consult one attorney?

Why consult an attorney? Did someone do something wrong?

Monday call the chain and explain your question. They may not speak to you directly because it is not your business. Have your mother there so that she can give them permission to speak to you. Remember you are asking for their help.

Also check any of her old check stubs company pay statements to see if she was paying for a family life insurance.

Why consult an attorney? Did someone do something wrong?

Monday call the chain and explain your question. They may not speak to you directly because it is not your business. Have your mother there so that she can give them permission to speak to you. Remember you are asking for their help.

Also check any of her old check stubs company pay statements to see if she was paying for a family life insurance.

Thank you, we will call them on Monday.
Problem is that we don't have any paycheck stubs or anything else.
And as I said they changed their name twice since then so we are not sure if they will have all this info .
That's why I mentioned attorney.

----------

and also we heard in most cases a policy through an employer terminates when the employee is no longer working there.

In that case my mom cant do nothing I guess since she left her employer in 2010.

And as I said they changed their name twice since then so we are not sure if they will have all this info .

----------

and also we heard in most cases a policy through an employer terminates when the employee is no longer working there.

In that case my mom cant do nothing I guess since she left her employer in 2010.

Another reason people should have life insurance they control. Again a long time since I have done group. If he died while a policy was inforce it may pay. You really need to start with a phone call to the human resource department of the store.

As already pointed out, call the HR department and explain the situation. See if they can pull up the records from 2008 and see what benefits your mom had.

There is nothing an attorney can do since no laws were broken and no rights violated... of course they could call the HR department for you and then charge you a few thousand dollars to do something you could do yourself in less than an hours time... hell pay me $1k and I will make the call for you!

The group health could have had individual life coverage or it could have had employee spouse, or it could have had family. It all just depends on the policy.

She could have had a life policy separate from the group health, and it just depends on who it covered. She would have had a choice on this one on who to cover most likely.

Even if the HR dept cant give you a firm answer on the life insurance. They can at least find out who the health carrier was at that time. Then you/your mom could call them and have them look into it.

Again, no need for an attorney. Any attorney who takes you on as a case is ripping you off. Just call HR. Legally it is the beneficiaries responsibility to contact the carrier and collect on the proceeds. Insurance companies do not know if someone has passed unless you tell them.

----------

If she did have coverage on your father let us know if she is able to collect the benefit. Sorry for your family's loss. Make sure you are all covered from this point on. Good luck, Lee

It is likely a group life benefit was offered completely separate from the health benefit. It is unlikely (though possible) the 2 were linked in anyway.

Most of the ones I have seen, there was an additional charge to the employee to cover the spouse on the group life policy, if they allowed it. I would assume a grocery store did, but now, its a choice of your mom, whether she actually did add the coverage.

Fortunately, the answer is usually pretty easy to obtain. Call the HR department, it may take a few days for them to pull who the carrier was for you mom at the time. Get them both, the life and health carrier. If possible, get the group numbers as well.

Then call the carrier and ask your question to them. They may take a couple of days to research this as well.

Your friends case was different though, it was the employee, not a spouse, that had the $50k. If your dad had coverage, I would expect it is for less, but I'm just guessing based on what I've seen.

Dan

Back