Over 150.000 insurance professionals and consumers come to the Insurance Forum every month. Click here to register for FREE


Go Back   Insurance Forums > Insurance Agents and Brokers Forum > Life Insurance Forum

Reply to Is It Possible my Dad Had Life Insurance Through my Moms Employer?     
Old 02-07-2015, 11:12 PM   #1
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts:3
State: Alexandra77 is an Insurance Agent from Nevada
Is It Possible my Dad Had Life Insurance Through my Moms Employer? Is It Possible my Dad Had Life Insurance Through my Moms Employer?
Hi all!

I have one question.

My father died in 2008 from leukemia. At that time my mom was working and they both had health insurance from her employer.
My mom cant remember name of that health insurance company.

Not long ago one of our friends told us that his father also passed away from leukemia and his mom collected life insurance (50k) form his employer.
And his employer was - the same one where my mom worked 8 years ago!
My friend could`t tell us if that life policy was trough employer health insurance or something that he signed separately with his employer.

Im not very familiar with health insurances and life policies at all.

So my questions are:

1. Is it possible that life insurance policy was included in health insurance policy that my mom used to have at that time and she didnt know it?
2. Is life insurance policy trough employer connected with health insurance or it is totally separate thing employer give you to sign it?
3. If answer to my first or second question is yes, what we should do? Contact her ex employer or find out what health insurance she had at that time?

Thanx
------------------------------------
  Reply With Quote to Is It Possible my Dad Had Life Insurance Through my Moms Employer?
Old 02-07-2015, 11:20 PM   #2
Guru
WinoBlues on Is It Possible my Dad Had Life Insurance Through my Moms Employer?
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts:17,168
State: WinoBlues is an Insurance Agent from Undisclosed Location
WinoBlues is a member of 5000 posts Super VIP club
Is It Possible my Dad Had Life Insurance Through my Moms Employer? Re: Is It Possible my Dad Had Life Insurance Through my Moms Employer?
Originally Posted by Alexandra77 View Post
Hi all!

I have one question.

My father died in 2008 from leukemia. At that time my mom was working and they both had health insurance from her employer.
My mom cant remember name of that health insurance company.

Not long ago one of our friends told us that his father also passed away from leukemia and his mom collected life insurance (50k) form his employer.
And his employer was - the same one where my mom worked 8 years ago!
My friend could`t tell us if that life policy was trough employer health insurance or something that he signed separately with his employer.

Im not very familiar with health insurances and life policies at all.

So my questions are:

1. Is it possible that life insurance policy was included in health insurance policy that my mom used to have at that time and she didnt know it?
2. Is life insurance policy trough employer connected with health insurance or it is totally separate thing employer give you to sign it?
3. If answer to my first or second question is yes, what we should do? Contact her ex employer or find out what health insurance she had at that time?

Thanx
Maybe.

1) Some health plans will have a small life benefit normally on the employee. It is possible there could have be a family benefit included or that she paid for through salary deduction.

2)Can be both.

3) Both

It has been a loon time since I have done ant group health. I would post the question in the health forum and have one of those agents give you a better informed answer.

------------------------------------
America's Sons and Daughters http://iraqwarheroes.org/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wt8y18YFH70

WinoBlues @ Gmail.com
  Reply With Quote to Is It Possible my Dad Had Life Insurance Through my Moms Employer?
Old 02-08-2015, 12:40 AM   #3
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts:3
State: Alexandra77 is an Insurance Agent from Nevada
Is It Possible my Dad Had Life Insurance Through my Moms Employer? Re: Is It Possible my Dad Had Life Insurance Through my Moms Employer? Alexandra77 is the thread starter for: Is It Possible my Dad Had Life Insurance Through my Moms Employer?

Thanx

How do we find out if she had life insurance ?
Her ex employer changed their name 2 times since then. (it was grocery store chain).

Should we contact them directly or consult one attorney?
------------------------------------
  Reply With Quote to Is It Possible my Dad Had Life Insurance Through my Moms Employer?
Old 02-08-2015, 01:01 AM   #4
Guru
WinoBlues on Is It Possible my Dad Had Life Insurance Through my Moms Employer?
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts:17,168
State: WinoBlues is an Insurance Agent from Undisclosed Location
WinoBlues is a member of 5000 posts Super VIP club
Is It Possible my Dad Had Life Insurance Through my Moms Employer? Re: Is It Possible my Dad Had Life Insurance Through my Moms Employer?
Originally Posted by Alexandra77 View Post
Thanx

How do we find out if she had life insurance ?
Her ex employer changed their name 2 times since then. (it was grocery store chain).

Should we contact them directly or consult one attorney?
Why consult an attorney? Did someone do something wrong?

Monday call the chain and explain your question. They may not speak to you directly because it is not your business. Have your mother there so that she can give them permission to speak to you. Remember you are asking for their help.

Also check any of her old check stubs company pay statements to see if she was paying for a family life insurance.
------------------------------------
  Reply With Quote to Is It Possible my Dad Had Life Insurance Through my Moms Employer?
Old 02-08-2015, 01:13 AM   #5
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts:3
State: Alexandra77 is an Insurance Agent from Nevada
Is It Possible my Dad Had Life Insurance Through my Moms Employer? Re: Is It Possible my Dad Had Life Insurance Through my Moms Employer? Alexandra77 is the thread starter for: Is It Possible my Dad Had Life Insurance Through my Moms Employer?

Originally Posted by WinoBlues View Post
Why consult an attorney? Did someone do something wrong?

Monday call the chain and explain your question. They may not speak to you directly because it is not your business. Have your mother there so that she can give them permission to speak to you. Remember you are asking for their help.

Also check any of her old check stubs company pay statements to see if she was paying for a family life insurance.
Thank you, we will call them on Monday.
Problem is that we don't have any paycheck stubs or anything else.
And as I said they changed their name twice since then so we are not sure if they will have all this info .
That's why I mentioned attorney.

----------

and also we heard in most cases a policy through an employer terminates when the employee is no longer working there.

In that case my mom cant do nothing I guess since she left her employer in 2010.
------------------------------------
  Reply With Quote to Is It Possible my Dad Had Life Insurance Through my Moms Employer?
Old 02-08-2015, 01:22 AM   #6
Guru
WinoBlues on Is It Possible my Dad Had Life Insurance Through my Moms Employer?
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts:17,168
State: WinoBlues is an Insurance Agent from Undisclosed Location
WinoBlues is a member of 5000 posts Super VIP club
Is It Possible my Dad Had Life Insurance Through my Moms Employer? Re: Is It Possible my Dad Had Life Insurance Through my Moms Employer?
Originally Posted by Alexandra77 View Post
Thank you, we will call them on Monday.
Problem is that we don't have any paycheck stubs or anything else.
And as I said they changed their name twice since then so we are not sure if they will have all this info .
That's why I mentioned attorney.

----------

and also we heard in most cases a policy through an employer terminates when the employee is no longer working there.

In that case my mom cant do nothing I guess since she left her employer in 2010.
Another reason people should have life insurance they control. Again a long time since I have done group. If he died while a policy was inforce it may pay. You really need to start with a phone call to the human resource department of the store.
------------------------------------
  Reply With Quote to Is It Possible my Dad Had Life Insurance Through my Moms Employer?
Old 02-08-2015, 01:35 AM   #7
Guru
pcbinsurance on Is It Possible my Dad Had Life Insurance Through my Moms Employer?
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts:4,727
State: pcbinsurance is an Insurance Agent from Florida
pcbinsurance is a member of 1000 posts VIP club
Is It Possible my Dad Had Life Insurance Through my Moms Employer? Re: Is It Possible my Dad Had Life Insurance Through my Moms Employer?
Another option:

Policy Locator | MIB Solutions, Inc. | How to find lost life insurance, Search for lost life insurance, Lost insurance policies
------------------------------------
  Reply With Quote to Is It Possible my Dad Had Life Insurance Through my Moms Employer?
Old 02-09-2015, 12:17 PM   #8
Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts:6,309
State: scagnt83 is an Insurance Agent from South Carolina
scagnt83 is a member of 5000 posts Super VIP club
Is It Possible my Dad Had Life Insurance Through my Moms Employer? Re: Is It Possible my Dad Had Life Insurance Through my Moms Employer?
As already pointed out, call the HR department and explain the situation. See if they can pull up the records from 2008 and see what benefits your mom had.

There is nothing an attorney can do since no laws were broken and no rights violated... of course they could call the HR department for you and then charge you a few thousand dollars to do something you could do yourself in less than an hours time... hell pay me $1k and I will make the call for you!


The group health could have had individual life coverage or it could have had employee spouse, or it could have had family. It all just depends on the policy.

She could have had a life policy separate from the group health, and it just depends on who it covered. She would have had a choice on this one on who to cover most likely.

Even if the HR dept cant give you a firm answer on the life insurance. They can at least find out who the health carrier was at that time. Then you/your mom could call them and have them look into it.

Again, no need for an attorney. Any attorney who takes you on as a case is ripping you off. Just call HR. Legally it is the beneficiaries responsibility to contact the carrier and collect on the proceeds. Insurance companies do not know if someone has passed unless you tell them.
------------------------------------
  Reply With Quote to Is It Possible my Dad Had Life Insurance Through my Moms Employer?
Old 02-09-2015, 12:27 PM   #9
Guru
WinoBlues on Is It Possible my Dad Had Life Insurance Through my Moms Employer?
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts:17,168
State: WinoBlues is an Insurance Agent from Undisclosed Location
WinoBlues is a member of 5000 posts Super VIP club
Is It Possible my Dad Had Life Insurance Through my Moms Employer? Re: Is It Possible my Dad Had Life Insurance Through my Moms Employer?
Originally Posted by Alexandra77 View Post
Thank you, we will call them on Monday.
Problem is that we don't have any paycheck stubs or anything else.
And as I said they changed their name twice since then so we are not sure if they will have all this info .
That's why I mentioned attorney.

----------

and also we heard in most cases a policy through an employer terminates when the employee is no longer working there.

In that case my mom cant do nothing I guess since she left her employer in 2010.
If she did have coverage on your father let us know if she is able to collect the benefit. Sorry for your family's loss. Make sure you are all covered from this point on. Good luck, Lee
------------------------------------
  Reply With Quote to Is It Possible my Dad Had Life Insurance Through my Moms Employer?
Old 02-09-2015, 02:12 PM   #10
djs
Guru
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts:6,556
State: djs is an Insurance Agent from California
djs is a member of 5000 posts Super VIP club
Is It Possible my Dad Had Life Insurance Through my Moms Employer? Re: Is It Possible my Dad Had Life Insurance Through my Moms Employer?
It is likely a group life benefit was offered completely separate from the health benefit. It is unlikely (though possible) the 2 were linked in anyway.

Most of the ones I have seen, there was an additional charge to the employee to cover the spouse on the group life policy, if they allowed it. I would assume a grocery store did, but now, its a choice of your mom, whether she actually did add the coverage.

Fortunately, the answer is usually pretty easy to obtain. Call the HR department, it may take a few days for them to pull who the carrier was for you mom at the time. Get them both, the life and health carrier. If possible, get the group numbers as well.

Then call the carrier and ask your question to them. They may take a couple of days to research this as well.

Your friends case was different though, it was the employee, not a spouse, that had the $50k. If your dad had coverage, I would expect it is for less, but I'm just guessing based on what I've seen.

Dan
------------------------------------
  Reply With Quote to Is It Possible my Dad Had Life Insurance Through my Moms Employer?
Reply to Is It Possible my Dad Had Life Insurance Through my Moms Employer? 

  Insurance Agent Forum > Insurance Forums > Insurance Agents and Brokers Forum > Life Insurance Forum


Tags
life insurance




Similar Threads with Is It Possible my Dad Had Life Insurance Through my Moms Employer?
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Has Anyone Built a Facebook Page for Their Business? AgentDrew Insurance Websites 114 05-30-2017 12:39 PM
Is anyone going to the Convention (National Agents Alliance) (NAA dvd493 Life Insurance Forum 1591 11-17-2016 10:24 AM
Need Real Help. Just the Facts! Canureallysale Final Expense Forum 21 02-11-2016 09:49 PM
How Much Does a Life Insurance Agent Pocket? STIBROKER Life Insurance Forum 21 08-25-2011 03:52 PM



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:41 PM.

Forum enabled with vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.


Join the Forum - It's FREE

Share This Page



Weekly Poll

Whats the biggest selling point for voluntary benefits?