Pre-approach Letter for FE?

MisterRandyWatson

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
DFW, TX
Have any of you sent pre-approach letters to final expense prospects? I've been toying with the idea of sending out letters (or postcards) to the areas I'm working anyway that give a quick few bullet points about final expense, and say something to the effect of "Mr. Blah Blah (me) will be in your area soon to answer questions and give you info..." or something similar.

I feel like I need to get back into the cold-calling / prospecting game. My idea is to follow up with a door knock with the pre-approach letter in my hand. "Hi Mr. Ramos. I'm the one that sent you this card here..."

Obviously, I will continue to focus on direct mail, telemarketing, and referrals as my bread and butter, but it seems like I have a lot of free time between appointments that I could make better use of. I did door-to-door exclusively for years, so I feel like I'm a solid approacher, but I was curious if a pre-approach letter gives you any advantage to simply door knocking completely cold.

Cliff Notes:
1. Have you ever sent pre-approach letters to FE prospects?

2. What was the verbiage of your pre-approach letter?

3. Was it a.) as effective b.) more effective or c.) less effective than cold-calling without a pre-approach letter?

But first, write a check to the Post Office for all the money you would have wasted on postage and stationary. They need your money.

I have sent out letters and told them I would be calling within 3 days, or dropping buy to schedule an appointment. I would give them a day and time window I am dropping by. This has been effective. I may start doing doing it again now that I am marketing the Final Expense market again. I would set up 5 a day. 25 per week max. Show up and act like you are supposed to be there. Something I have included in those letters is my telephone number if they need to reschedule the appointment. Hilariously some will call which makes your cold calling easier. Some will be irrate, but others will welcome the gesture. I may do it again.

Keep in mind while some may say that this is a waste of money, there are insurance agents spending upwards to 25.00 per lead. Many of those are a JOKE! So I would say a .42 cent stamp is a shure cheaper way to warm up a lead by the time you knock on the door.

I have sent out letters and told them I would be calling within 3 days, or dropping buy to schedule an appointment. I would give them a day and time window I am dropping by. This has been effective. I may start doing doing it again now that I am marketing the Final Expense market again. I would set up 5 a day. 25 per week max. Show up and act like you are supposed to be there. Something I have included in those letters is my telephone number if they need to reschedule the appointment. Hilariously some will call which makes your cold calling easier. Some will be irrate, but others will welcome the gesture. I may do it again.

Keep in mind while some may say that this is a waste of money, there are insurance agents spending upwards to 25.00 per lead. Many of those are a JOKE! So I would say a .42 cent stamp is a shure cheaper way to warm up a lead by the time you knock on the door.

So $0.42 is your only costs? Stationary, envelopes, and your time is free?

So I would say a .42 cent stamp is a shure cheaper way to warm up a lead by the time you knock on the door.

You do realize that stamps are now .44? If you get stationery, lists, and other supplies for free (hook me up) and your time is worthless, then I guess it is sure cheaper.

Rick

I've been fairly successful in selling door-to-door. I paid my entire college tuition, room and board for 5 years entirely with commissions from door-to-door sales. I sold insurance exclusively my first 2 and half years in the business going door-to-door.

Without a pre-approach letter, I'd be able to give 1 sales presentation for every 10 people I'd approach.

I have, however, gotten completely out of the cold-calling game--as in, I haven't cold-knocked a door in at least 3 years.

I feel like this could possibly be a good way to ease me back into cold-calling confidently. It'll cost me 77 cents to send a card (printing, postage, and data). All I'm looking for is to improve my 1 out of 10 chance in giving a presentation...but I don't want to piss any money away if the letter will not increase my ratios at all.

To reiterate--for people who have sent pre-approach letters, do you feel like you've improved your chances in giving a presentation? Or is the same or worse as completely cold-calling?

Back