Problems Closing Term Life

I want to offer some advice. But first I want to know how long have you been doing life insurance (and no I'm not trying to be rude)? You said you use to do p&c and mortgages and I get the impression from what you are saying that you are selling life like you do p&c or mortgages, basically offering people the best rate or quote or the best deal or bang for their buck.

If that's the case then you need to apply what dhk said, especially if your cold calling. You need to drum up some other interest as to why they should even be on the phone with you listening to you talk about life insurance as oppose to watching TV after just coming in from work.

If you don't want to do that and you are more comfortable the way you are doing it then you should do what wino said and get some aged leads. Your methodology might work better with people who already had some interest.

Also get your cold calling more targeted. Calling anyone with a pulse will become a game of time and chance or luck. Pick a group of people find a common thread and use that as your selling point.

Also remember your cold calling people and cold calling people in the NYC. Chances are a majority of those people were wasting your time and just jerking you around knowing they had no money to buy anything anyway so don't get discouraged by a low conversion rate. Especially since cold calling is like 100 calls equals to 1 sale type of scenario.

One last thing, people in NY are guarded as it is especially if your cold calling. Find something similar to them or familiar to them to bring their guard down during the convo. That way they may be more likely to meet with you for the appt.

Last edited:
"I will try this "suspense strategy" tomorrow and see how it works. I will try it for a few hours and feel it out. I will keep you posted. "
The suspense is killing me!

I hope the suspense did not kill you. But, here is the update. I didn't try the suspense strategy. However, I changed my called calling script 100%. I now ask personal questions such as "why do you think you need life insurance?" and "what would your family do if you did not have life insurance?" These questions and a few others led to conversations that have finally led me to signing up my first deal today. Not a huge premium, but a step in the right direction.

Either way, not sure if this hard work to get the close is worth the money from it. :1baffled:

I hope the suspense did not kill you. But, here is the update. I didn't try the suspense strategy. However, I changed my called calling script 100%. I now ask personal questions such as "why do you think you need life insurance?" and "what would your family do if you did not have life insurance?" These questions and a few others led to conversations that have finally led me to signing up my first deal today. Not a huge premium, but a step in the right direction.

Either way, not sure if this hard work to get the close is worth the money from it. :1baffled:

You're moving forward! Good job!

Want more and bigger? Check this out:
http://www.insuranceproshop.com/MortgageInsuranceSales/

"What a life changer ...I Increased My Average Case Size From $600 Annual Premium To Well Over $2000"

"Lew, I just wanted to take a moment and thank you for recommending the mortgage protection tool kit. It has definitely helped me increase my average case size from $600 annual premium to well over $2000 annual premium per case. Also, prior to purchasing the tool kit, I was spending over $2,000 per month on leads. I am proud to say that I have not purchased a single lead in over two months and my production is still climbing. What a life changer. I cannot thank you enough. You are truly making a difference." David Trusler, MBA, IL, Trusler Financial Group, (6 years in business)

I promote the Insurance Pro Shop because I think they are the best and the least expensive way to become more and more productive.

Now, you don't have to start out by buying a system. You could start out with their members only section for $25/month (soon to increase to $35/month) and go from there.

http://www.insuranceproshop.com/insurancemarketing/insurancemarketing.html

I don't get anything from promoting them. I will say that their methods absolutely work and you'll feel like a true professional after getting their training and using their method selling systems.

I visited the site and saw a lot of content relating to marketing. Are three courses on life insurance product training? Thank you

All of these video courses are included in the members only site:
- Life Insurance Product Training
- 5-minute mini trial closes for cash value life insurance
- Annuity presentation nuggets
- Why people buy and don't buy
- Trusted Advisor Success Training
- Advanced Fact-Finding Training

It's simply the best value of training available anywhere.

I know a fellow who cold called from the telephone book each morning until he had set two appointments for later that day. His script was something like this:

"Hello, Mr. or Mrs. So and So, I am ________. I am in the insurance business with _____ Company, specializing in life insurance. Is this something you have recently considered?"

He wrote a couple of hundred thousand in annualized premium every year for many years until one day he fell from the face of the earth.

I doubt he told anyone much of anything about the specifics of life insurance until he actually was sitting at their kitchen table. But then,he obviously did give them enough over the telephone for them to allow him to come sit at their kitchen table. How much is enough — that is the rub.

Back