Process of 1035 Exchange

americansenior

I am doing my first 1035 exchange and wanted to get an idea on how the process works. I have a client that has a foresters whole life 25k with 25k in cash value. He has had it for over 10 years so I believe we would be using the cash value instead of cash surrender value? I'm not familiar with how the process works and trying to get some more info. Also I am going to be using the cash value for a single premium for 39k death benefit. Any help is appreciated. Thank you

First, WL only has a cash value. There are no additional surrender charges with whole life, so whatever the cash values are... is what it is.

For the new application, you input the premium is to be paid via 1035 exchange. Once underwriting is approved (should be very basic for a $39k single premium DB), they'll process the 1035.

If you have other questions, I'd suggest calling the company that will be issuing the new policy.

Could be a non-participating policy... but I agree, the numbers don't really add up.

But that's not our problem as that's the OP's job... and he can let the company tell him the bad news, if it doesn't add up.

I would guess that cash value is not correct. I bet the face amount is $25,000 and the reduced paid up is quite a bit less and the cash value is quite a bit under that. Unless he is over 90 years old.

The cash value and cash surrender value should be the same, assuming no loan is on the policy. I agree, the numbers aren't adding up... possibly the info was stated wrong in the orig post. Maybe they will come back and clarify.
Yes the new policy is a mec, but that really doesn't matter. Agree, they should at least know the rules.

Back