Providing Coverage for Transgenders

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
Alabama
I witnessed a wild and crazy event today. A couple entered a local department store and went to the clothing section of the store. The male entered the women's dressing room, while the female entered the male dressing room. Store management did nothing, stating that they did not want to be charged with sex discrimination. The event led me to wonder: has anyone on the Forum written an app involving transgender individuals? If so, did you identify the individual as their declared gender, and how did it effect the underwriting process? Really looking forward to the responses!

Depends on if they've transitioned or not - that's not one I've run into yet. Generally speaking, however, you just write the policy as whatever their legal biological sex is, since underwriting is generally based on someone's biological factors rather than their gender expression. Which is to say that regardless of how they present or identify, a person born as a male will still be subject to the issues that other people who are born male have regardless of if they identify as male, female, nonbinary, etc.

I have a couple of transgender clients. No issues. Underwriting doesn't care how people identify. Just if they're healthy. Their money is as good as anyone else's.

I witnessed a wild and crazy event today. A couple entered a local department store and went to the clothing section of the store. The male entered the women's dressing room, while the female entered the male dressing room. Store management did nothing, stating that they did not want to be charged with sex discrimination. The event led me to wonder: has anyone on the Forum written an app involving transgender individuals? If so, did you identify the individual as their declared gender, and how did it effect the underwriting process? Really looking forward to the responses!

I haven't, and won't. It'd creep me out!:swoon:

I know that WinoBlues on the Forum has written several and is quite comfortable with it.:)

I'm pretty sure that legally, they stay what they were born.:yes:

I had to put one down as a beneficiary last week. I put them down as God created them...

I haven't, and won't. It'd creep me out!:swoon:

I know that WinoBlues on the Forum has written several and is quite comfortable with it.:)

I'm pretty sure that legally, they stay what they were born.:yes:

Ha, I do not verify to deeply what they say.

The cases I had were underwritten as male. Where it got sticky :blink: is how they were listed on the policy. I let the company know what the insured wanted and let them deal with it. In my cases, they underwrote male but put female on the spec page. These were years ago, so it had underwriting and legal in a tether. Today I doubt it would be that big of a deal.

Personally, I could care less. Transgender, gay, redneck, Democrat, etc.... I do not care. I do have a certain type of people I would prefer not to work with so i will give them a quote and suggest they get more quotes from other agents.

Last edited:
Right, that's what I meant. There's no need to get into the weeds with this stuff - if someone's biological sex is male, regardless of how they identify, you put 'em down as male. Never seen an app that asked for "gender identity," always "sex" because that's what matters for the reasons you said. Most folks don't have an issue with that, in my experience. :)

Since the application just states "sex", I guess "occasionally" would be an appropriate answer. :nah:

Back