Question About Appt Setting. Driving & Knocking vs. Phone Setups

Just got another contract this week, Lincoln for their Final Expense product. The agency is just outstanding....Upright folks as honest and plain-spoken as the day is long,and they have the marketing aspect of it down to a science. Bought a mail drop this week for 1000 pieces, was told to expect to get 40 leads back in 2-3 weeks......."leads" meaning those folks who've mailed in a reply card.

Traveled twice this week with a younger agent they tout as a superstar, and indeed he is very good, mainly because he finds out why they replied and fills the need.....doesn't talk too much, asks for participation and agreement, and generally doesn't get carried away with the presentation being all about him.

My concern is this:

We spent hours and hours and hours on the road Tuesday and Wednesday in Columbia, SC, knocking on doors of responders, as opposed to trying to set appointments by phone. Even though I agree it (driving direct) might be a better way to get in front of more folks, that process seems to me to be rife with just so much waste, both in time and expense.

I've not had an issue as of yet with making appts by phone, so I am thinking I'll just continue to use the phone to set appts for out-of-town responders and maybe drive direct for the local leads........but in all candor the idea of driving around all day long trying to catch responders at home just does not appeal to me.

I'm using this equation right now for planning purposes, and its thus far held true:

20 leads per week (meaning written responders)

1/4 will give appointments (5)

2/3 of that will buy (3.33)

3.3 sold per week x $50 avg prem x 12 = $1980 per week ann premium

x 85% contract

= $1683/week in income

= $7287 per month

= $87448 per year

I'd like to get some feedback from the Vets here on this.......

do you all drive around trying to catch responders at home?

try the phone first then set aside a day to reach the no-contacts?

phone only?

use a similar equation?

are my numbers in my equation realistic? (have been thus far)

I'm really conflicted on this.........I was in the mortgage industry for 21+ years, and, again candidly, the idea of driving around 4 days a week trying to catch folks at home doesnt appeal to me....I always had set appointments before....so this new process of driving around seems awkward to me, but I'm a fish out of water...

Any advice appreciated.

Last edited:
Re: ??? About Appt Setting...Driving & Knockin' Vs. Phone Setups

You forgot to allow 50% cancel within 90 days due to they found better rates than LH.
I would call first for appointments and drive by the ones that don't answer.

You forgot to allow 50% cancel within 90 days due to they found better rates than LH.

Good advice.

Whatever happened to people buy from you,not the company and keep the policy because you did such a great job selling it. If you sell on price than yes your customers will leave you for price.

If you sell on price than your clients will leave you for price.

Thats kinda the direction I'm leaning, but I had no idea LH's rates are so bad.........who's got better ratest than LH?

Foresters?

If you sell on price than your clients will leave you for price.

Tell your sales manager he did a good job with the kool aid.

Why in the world would any agent choose to stick his clients in an overpriced FE policy?

Tell your sales manager he did a good job with the kool aid.

Why in the world would any agent choose to stick his clients in an overpriced FE policy?

on the same product, UHL vs LH:

female, age 59 tobacco

$20k coverage

UHL $114.90 on Express Issue Deluxe, $90.95 on Express Issue Premier,

LH $89/month on Final Expense $77.20 on Preferred, all with no medical exam and a 95% issue rate, and they've been in FE 50 years with 426,000 policies on the books with an "Excellent" rating with Best.

UHL seems to be well respected.......how is LH overpriced junk?

on the same product, UHL vs LH:

female, age 59 tobacco

$20k coverage

UHL $114.90 on Express Issue Deluxe, $90.95 on Express Issue Premier,

LH $89/month on Final Expense $77.20 on Preferred, all with no medical exam and a 95% issue rate, and they've been in FE 50 years with 426,000 policies on the books with an "Excellent" rating with Best.

UHL seems to be well respected.......how is LH overpriced junk?

UHL is not the best choice.

Oxford for one is $74.70 for that 59 year old smoker female.

RNA is $69.13 if you want to go with the more detailed underwriting.

Now what do you have for the 70 year old male non-smoker who wants $20,000? I have Oxford at $126.65

RNA is $94.05

Lincoln Heritage is every FE agent's most prefered company for their competitors to sell. It's all based on gimmicks and overpriced rates. Management takes a huge cut of the agent's commission and gives you .... hmmmmmm.... what do they do for their cut?

50% cancellation rate within the 1st 90 days? That's either a gross lie or an ignorant statement.

I've written for LH for over 11 years straight and never saw those kind of figures. Yes, their rates are on the high side. But I've talked with numerous agents who wrote for cheaper premium co.'s and they had very poor persistency.

The agent affects the persistency much more than the premium. And rarely do people replace their FE policy with a cheaper premium. It does happen but not very often....as long as they liked their 1st agent.

Most inexperienced FE agents think they miss a sale because the prospect said "that's too expensive for us". The agent figures the premium kept them from making a sale. In reality the agent missed the sale because they had a poor warm-up, poor presentation, didn't seem believeable and sincere and trustworthy, didn't listen to the prospect very carefully, didn't paint mental pics, etc., etc.

Back