This Question is a Doozy.

Cornelius

Guru
1000 Post Club
I expect to get blown up over this question or the thread go in many different directions. Ok here goes.

Does anyone know what kind of and if a zoo can carry insurance on an animal such as a gorilla? I'm sure there's a monetary loss realized and someone probably assumed that risk so there might be some type of policy somewhere.

I expect to get blown up over this question or the thread go in many different directions. Ok here goes.

Does anyone know what kind of and if a zoo can carry insurance on an animal such as a gorilla? I'm sure there's a monetary loss realized and someone probably assumed that risk so there might be some type of policy somewhere.

I know of a county government who insures their K9 dog. What's interesting is that they had more insurance on the dog than each individual employee received. This was because the dog required significant training and to purchase and replace one is expensive.

I assume this is some sort of surplus lines coverage although I don't know what company. My feeling is that you can probably find a company to insure anything if you want to pay the premium.

I would imagine that Lloyds of London or similar insurer that takes in specialized risk would issue a policy for the right price and circumstances based on the potential revenue loss from the exhibit.

I would imagine there is. I always kept mortality insurance on my horses when I was competing. I went through Markel. Most of my competitors wanted me to be their agent on it but you have to be P&C licensed to sell it and I'm not.

The animals of a zoo would be covered under a P&C policy. They are property of the zoo thus covered along with all of the zoo's other property.

Life Insurance is only for legal persons. Animals are legally considered property.

The animals of a zoo would be covered under a P&C policy. They are property of the zoo thus covered along with all of the zoo's other property. Life Insurance is only for legal persons. Animals are legally considered property.

And rightly so...

Back