Question Regarding LIFE INSURANCE and NICOTINE

I have a client who wants to get LIFE INSURANCE (IUL). He asked me a question today I couldn't answer him.

I'll explain:

Client used to be a smoker and he is not. However, he had a cigarette couple days ago.

Client asked if nicotine will effect his insurance. I stated a non smoker is better then smoker.

He then asked, if he should wait until nicotine is out of his system.

I answered YOU MUST state everything truthfully to your best ability...if you don't the insurance company will find out anyway.

He then asked, how long does nicotine last in your system.

I answered, I do not know, but you should disclosed all your activities regarding tobacco use.

He said, how long should I wait for nicotine not to be detected. He hasn't smoked for a long time and had 1 couple days ago.

I answered, I do not know, i'm not a physician. I am just an insurance sales person.

What should I have done better?

If he was being that shady with you, I would find a new client. I tell clients like this that I won't put my name on it now knowing what I know. Fiduciary responsibility is to the carrier....

You are the first the beneficiary sues...

Typically, nicotine is out of the system after 1 week. You can do with that what you wish. Just keep in mind that most insurance companies ask if there is information that you are aware of that would result in a negative underwriting decision, and you've now had this conversation.

If he's truly clean, he can simply disclose that yes he had a cigarette the other day as a one time thing, the insurance company would then order an APS to ensure that there is no mention of frequent use. Not having a positive nicotine test would help a ton. It's also going to be dependent on when he claims to have quit.

Now, regarding what you now know. If he claims to have quite within the required amount of time to be preferred or non-smoke (whatever) and all you know is that he apparently smoked one out of the blue a week or so ago, you don't actually know anything that would result in a negative underwriting decision. The guy hasn't come to you and said "I smoke, but I don't want to pay the rates, how do I get around that?" That would be something to report.

funny regarding the electronic cigarettes.

i don't feel comfortable writing this business. if he ask, i will disclose everything anyway..not going to compromise, nothing is worth doing the right thing anyway.

yes, i have a duty to client, but ultimately, i have the duty for the carrier.

i'm relatively new at this....but met A LOT of shady agents and people coming out of no where asking strange questions.

Back