Question

Thanks I am pretty inexperienced in the life field! I have a lot to learn but had been trying to reach this couple for a couple of weeks so was pretty excited that I actually got them on the phone!

Something I learned doing Medicare and pre-ObamaCare IFP: if rates matter more than the coverage or the customer's trust in you, they're gonna cancel.

I could quote a UHC IFP plan - higher rate but better deductible and benefits and another agent at my company would speak with the person and get them to do a UHC Saver or another carrier with higher deductible and worse benefits.

The problem is they'd either balk at the rate up or use the plan and get screwed and cancel. Never (or rarely, if ever), when they took my recommendation.

Same with Medicare Advantage - carriers I didn't carry would send agents to offer those damn benefit cards to buy toiletries or Part B rebates just to get the volume (in case anyone does sell Medicare, most states offer an income-based program that stop Part B deductions - in New York it's called "Medicare Savings Plan).

People enrolled with me over those because I didn't sell on price, I sold on the benefit of my recommendation (i.e. you won't have a $20k bill to pay if you have a catastrophic medical situation - plus these critical care and accident plans will put money in your pocket if you can't work or need to modify your home because of the situation).

If you sell on price, even with Life, someone will always undercut. If you sell benefits (this term plan costs $xxx but if you outlive the term you get your premium back; this UL has the ROP plus it'll never lose value if you're investing decisions end up being bad ones...), people are more likely to trust you and stick with your plan even if someone tries to undercut you.

My 2¢.

There might be other reasons the client wanted to deal with the other agent; you stated that you were on the phone and the other agent showed up in person. Some prospects will buy from and even pay a little more in premium to have a local agent. Personality also plays a role and a personal visit from the agent could give them an advantage. Its just part of the business.

I have trying to get my courage up to go face to face! Most of my business has been phone sales. And this couple live in n Carolina and I'm in Missouri! I am trying my hand at Medicare supps and part d plans this year as well as life. I think It may be easier especially if the people are local to make the sale for either face/face. With health unless they walked into the office or specifically asked for a face/face all my sales were phone, so a learning curve here!

Back