Rated Up for MVR Record??

HoosierLife

Automate Appointments https://agentautopilot.com
5000 Post Club
I was trying to obtain a policy for a buddy of mine. We were looking at Protectives UL30. The guy is in perfect health. I got him approved two years ago at preferred rates. It was his weight that knocked him out of preferred plus. But now his weight is well within every company is preferred plus standards.

But Protective rated him up because of his MVR record. Does anybody know of some carriers that will not read up for his MVR record?

Here it is:

Approved Standard NT due to Driving Record - MVR- most recent violations: 8-09 stop sign; 5-12 non point violation; 7-12 no license; 8-14

non point violation

MVR record is going to be checked on any traditional coverage, even non-medical policies. Why was his license suspended before? What were the non point violations?

The rates he got 2 years ago don't matter in regards to what he's looking at today, unless he wants to convert all or a portion of the existing policy to permanent coverage.

You're going to need to shop the case among multiple companies to see what rates they're looking at. I think you're looking at a flat extra or substandard risk class for the driving history if there are DUI's or something just as major in the records. Having a suspended license within the last 3 years is a red flag to any insurance company. Maybe do a short term policy as an interim measure until enough time has passed since the incidents occurred.

What's his date of birth? How much coverage is he looking for? Any medical issues too?

If you'd like some help with the case, send me a private message with your contact info.

I got Pinney looking into it. I don't know why he lost his license. He probably forgot to pay a ticket. He's a scatter brain.

My question is how none of this affected his last policy.

----------

I think I have to wait until July so the two 2012 violations will drop off the 3 year look back.

I was trying to obtain a policy for a buddy of mine. We were looking at Protectives UL30. The guy is in perfect health. I got him approved two years ago at preferred rates. It was his weight that knocked him out of preferred plus. But now his weight is well within every company is preferred plus standards.

But Protective rated him up because of his MVR record. Does anybody know of some carriers that will not read up for his MVR record?

Here it is:

Approved Standard NT due to Driving Record - MVR- most recent violations: 8-09 stop sign; 5-12 non point violation; 7-12 no license; 8-14

non point violation

Have you seen his MVR? Because if that's it... the carrier's only real sticking point might be the citation for not having a license. And if they rate for driving with a license so be it but that's a mite touchy.

Have you seen his MVR? Because if that's it... the carrier's only real sticking point might be the citation for not having a license. And if they rate for driving with a license so be it but that's a mite touchy.

Well it was Protective and they are pretty strict about MVR records I guess, more so than other carriers. But even Pinney was confused on what "no license" meant. He def never lost his license. At least not in the last 3 years lol.

MIB check is a 7-year look back. Plus you've gotta disclose the reason he was rated up on a new application. There's always a question on fully underwritten apps that asks if you've ever been rated up, declined, postponed, or asked to pay a higher premium and that is generally worded as "have you ever...".

You're probably going to get asked for clarification why his license was suspended even if you waited for a 3-year look back period to pass by (also, a number of companies do a 5-year look back on MVR so keep an eye out for that question's phrasing).

How old is the guy? - if he's only like 30, standard vs. preferred is not going to be a severe increase in rates.

Shop the case as best you can, give him the options, and let your friend decide. Worst case scenario, you can always look at placing a short term policy at standard and re-write it in a couple years when enough time has passed to qualify for preferred rates (assuming the license issue does not involve DUIs).

Well that's the plan. He did not get his license suspended. He just did not have his license at a traffic stop.

Well it was Protective and they are pretty strict about MVR records I guess, more so than other carriers. But even Pinney was confused on what "no license" meant. He def never lost his license. At least not in the last 3 years lol.

I'll take it as a citation for driving without a license in the past year which could be enough for them if they're touchy about MVR's. The sum driving histoey was pretty benign, no speeding, reckless driving, alcohol issues... those are usually the mortality issues as opposed to driving without a license.

Back