Resigned from Bankers Life

This is a fair point, but remember that every company will have its issues. I've done a lot of reading on these boards since I joined, and there's a great deal of gold here. If a newbie were to follow three steps they'd be helping themselves quite a bit:

1. Starting off it's best to work captive, in my opinion, because of the product training, sales training, marketing training and exposure to the systems, compliance and regulations issues you absolutely have to know for the long run.

2. Research the company and its lead products. New York Life approaches things differently than does Met Life, but they're both very good companies. If you're more comfortable with Whole Life and higher end clients, NYL may be your choice. You'd also look at Mass Mutual, Northwestern and Guardian. Met Life would in general be a step down in terms of quality of clients, but the pool of prospects is bigger. Understand the companies, research them, understand what they focus on and who their target market is, find three or four that fit you and what you want to do.

3. Interview with at least three, because -- and here's where newbies make a big mistake -- the quality of your training will depend in large part to your manager(s) at your location. So Mass Mutual might be a better bet in your town than Northwestern, but in the next town over NYL may be better for you. This isn't easy, you have to try to talk to agents, you have to have the guts to drill the manager during the interview, but it's worth it.

I would add one thing that might get some pushback here: Once you've done your research and made your choice, drink the Kool Aid. No system is perfect, so pick the best one for you and commit to it 100%. Yes, keep your eyes open to the negative, but drink the Kool Aid. Those who dwell on the negative (and every company will have the negative, as does being independent) are handicapping themselves. This job can be difficult enough. Choose it, run with it.

My two cents.

Thanks for the info. I'm glade I looked here first, I almost went to Bankers. Now its back to the search....

What is your take on liberty national or Senior Life???

The quality or lack thereof has no bearing in being successful selling Med Supps. The agent is going to have to be an independent agent. Even initially when first starting.

If you want, give me a call and I can explain further, 573.544.4091.

Do a search around here , tons of info on both these companies. LibNat has a bad reputation around here, I think Senior Life may as well. I know you said on an earlier posting that there's a bunch of bashing around here, well, a lot of it is deserved. Some of these companies are bad news and they deserve it. Most of the time, though, it is a specific region or manager in that region, it does not make the entire company bad, just a few bad apples in certain regions.

There are Senior Life agents here that do nothing but sing praises about the company... Then there is a group of non Senior Life agents that sing something but I am not sure it is praises.. sounds a little more like Rap!:D

If youre going to offer med supps, being Independent will be far more rewarding personally and financially. Put your clients' needs in front of an agency need and they will refer you their friends every year.

If youre going to offer med supps, being Independent will be far more rewarding personally and financially. Put your clients' needs in front of an agency need and they will refer you their friends every year.

You sound like a well experienced, professional agent. I "preach" that all the time. I agree with you because you are 100% spot on.

Just don't be shocked when you get a notice that you owe all of the advances back because they are treated as loans. Bankers is another shady organization like Universal American.

They will try to go out and rewrite all of your business too and then give you a chargeback for the advance.

If I had it to do all over again, I would ignore the non compete and rewrite everybody out of the chute. Just my opinion of what I would do though.

Once you get the letter saying that you owe all this comission back, dispute it and they will cut it in at least half.

Back