Review of Waiver of Premium Riders

Well, I should know in a few days as I have resent all that I have and given NYL the point person at Unum to contact for more information. A lot of the paperwork was done from a hospital bed, so copies weren't available, so Unum has them.

I realize mine is a different situation as the medical claims provision doesn't account for a situation where the condition morphed from pressure wounds to bone infections to amputation. There isn't a diagnostic code that encompasses everything that happened. I've also had about a dozen MDs work on me through this past year. It just doesn't fit the questions on the form, so we'll see how they decide to deal with it.

The rider just says illness or injury, doesn't narrow it down to one illness or one injury. So this may be the "any" that is in my favor. We'll see.

Slight set back in healing, have to go in this week as a small tear has opened vertical to the scar line. Maybe nothing, but will have to have it checked out by the surgeon. Have to learn that "it's nothing" doesn't count anymore.

What I said not very eloquently was even if you wrote yourself at NYL they own the contract when you leave. Then you have to deal with an assigned agent - you have no say in the agent - and they're not only usually new they're not getting paid on the case. So they know nothing about older contracts and don't have any incentive to care.

I'm sure those WP wordings do change.

NYL is like Niagara Falls to me. "Slowly I turned step by step inch by inch!!!!" ;-)

I bet LGilmore is a broker for NYL, therefore HE would be his own agent.

Yes, you can broker for NYL... but I believe only for cases with a minimum $10,000 annual premium.

Actually started out as a NYL agent, so I wrote these policies and have kept them even though I parted ways with NYL sales wise 16-17 years ago. WL only works if you keep it and really there is nothing wrong with those policies, so there was no need to cancel them.

Thought I would update. Still no word from NYL on the life policies. They just contacted the point person at Unum after about 20 days to work on the information. I am headed back to work in August as I have started walking again and building stamina.

Unum for the DI policies will continue to pay me up till 10/1 to allow me time to get back up and "running" ;) in my business. No need to send expenses or APS anymore. The point person at Unum will try and help the folks at NYL understand there is no one diagnostic code in this case. It is a series of events starting from accident to illness and it has confused the heck out of them at NYL.

They have previously received all my chart notes and APS but admitted they don't understand them, basically because I went from A to B to C to D and the amputation was just bad luck days away from a clean bill of health. Hoping NYL has somebody in claims that can free think. There's about 6 diagnostic medical codes involved in this situation. Sticking or trying to make it just one, ain't gonna work. We'll see how they do and I will update again.

cheers.

I just read this thread. I am not very suprised on how NYL is treating you. I found that they take your case much more seriously if you are willing to complain to the State Insurance Department. They are very much interested in keeping their name clear. Now when I was at NYL, in the first 6 months, I was made to believe that NYL was the only carrier in the universe to have a WP rider. Everyone else's WP rider was no good, it would never pay and so on. It took me few years to figure out most of that is sizzle. ON the other hand, when I was at NYL, one of my friends had a orphan lead and when he did the fact find, he found out that he had a term life insurance with WP on it, and he had been paying the premium for 2 years despite being on SSDI. Now NYL went back and refunded all the premiums he had paid since the disability had started. Now I sell disability insurance for what it is. WP on Whole life does not pay your mortgage, true disability insurance does. There is a case for WP on whole life for high income medical professionals. They usually maxed out on disability insurance due to income limits and WP on whole life policy can provide an additional disability coverage.

Actually started out as a NYL agent, so I wrote these policies and have kept them even though I parted ways with NYL sales wise 16-17 years ago. WL only works if you keep it and really there is nothing wrong with those policies, so there was no need to cancel them.

Thought I would update. Still no word from NYL on the life policies. They just contacted the point person at Unum after about 20 days to work on the information. I am headed back to work in August as I have started walking again and building stamina.

Unum for the DI policies will continue to pay me up till 10/1 to allow me time to get back up and "running" ;) in my business. No need to send expenses or APS anymore. The point person at Unum will try and help the folks at NYL understand there is no one diagnostic code in this case. It is a series of events starting from accident to illness and it has confused the heck out of them at NYL.

They have previously received all my chart notes and APS but admitted they don't understand them, basically because I went from A to B to C to D and the amputation was just bad luck days away from a clean bill of health. Hoping NYL has somebody in claims that can free think. There's about 6 diagnostic medical codes involved in this situation. Sticking or trying to make it just one, ain't gonna work. We'll see how they do and I will update again.

cheers.

Just curious, any update on the WP claim?

Hope you are recovering well.

Still waiting to hear back on a ruling from the life department at NYL. Officially my disability period ends on 10/1/15 as I should be back fully at work by then. Still waiting on my new foot. Had some fitting problems with shoes trying it out. Adds like an inch in height, so maybe I will reconsider the NBA as that would put me at 6'8".

May have to go to dress boots for work shoes as the new foot was causing my stump to pop out on each step.

Anyway, going to call them at weeks end and see where they are at. They've been about 3 weeks behind on everything, but they have the Unum information for the last 2 weeks, so I figure we're close one way or another.

Still waiting to hear back on a ruling from the life department at NYL. Officially my disability period ends on 10/1/15 as I should be back fully at work by then. Still waiting on my new foot. Had some fitting problems with shoes trying it out. Adds like an inch in height, so maybe I will reconsider the NBA as that would put me at 6'8".

May have to go to dress boots for work shoes as the new foot was causing my stump to pop out on each step.

Anyway, going to call them at weeks end and see where they are at. They've been about 3 weeks behind on everything, but they have the Unum information for the last 2 weeks, so I figure we're close one way or another.

They should pay the back premiums anyway. Sure seems slow compared to claims I have worked.

"They should pay the back premiums anyway. Sure seems slow compared to claims I have worked."

I honestly think my situation confused them completely. I didn't have "A" happen. I had "A" then "B" then "C" and finally "D" happen to me in those 12 months. Their forms were list the "condition", not set up for conditions.

Everything connected from start to amputation, and made sense when you reviewed it, but if you're used to having one thing (i.e. bad back) to process, my situation throws quite the confusion into the mix. Blisters to pressure wounds to compensation wounds to bone infection and finally a super infection and amputation involving both feet. At different times each foot put me in the hospital. After speaking with them I am a bit more tolerant as this is confusing. If they accept the claim, they will pay even after I return to work. Hoping they get finished soon.

"They should pay the back premiums anyway. Sure seems slow compared to claims I have worked."

I honestly think my situation confused them completely. I didn't have "A" happen. I had "A" then "B" then "C" and finally "D" happen to me in those 12 months. Their forms were list the "condition", not set up for conditions.

Everything connected from start to amputation, and made sense when you reviewed it, but if you're used to having one thing (i.e. bad back) to process, my situation throws quite the confusion into the mix. Blisters to pressure wounds to compensation wounds to bone infection and finally a super infection and amputation involving both feet. At different times each foot put me in the hospital. After speaking with them I am a bit more tolerant as this is confusing. If they accept the claim, they will pay even after I return to work. Hoping they get finished soon.

Hope it gets handled soon as well.

You certainly sound positive and forward looking.

Back