Sense of Urgency

Stories are the best way to create urgency. But at the end of the day you cant create urgency with a prospect who does not see value in life insurance.

The biggest mistake both new and old agents make is to waste time trying to convince people who dont care that they need life insurance.

Obviously there are people that do know they need it and just procrastinate. But as an agent you must be able to realize when you are just wasting your breath.

Very True and well said.

It didn't take me long into my NYL days to figure this out. You are not going to close every deal, and it seemed that the ones you really had to "close" lapse 3 months later.

I've run into people who purposely want their families to struggle to "show them".

You have to really listen to the objection because it may be a smoke screen for something else.

For me, if a prospect puts up too many objections, I thank him for his time and move on. I will stay in touch, but I will not burn any bridges trying to one visit close anybody.

Sometimes you write them later. I have gone as far as 4 years later with several prospects. Don't burn a bridge, just don't spend a ton of time on them. Keep your name in their face 4 or 5 times a year so when the light goes off, you're who they call.

Last edited:
I use this in my close. I start out with another one but it's too big to upload. You all feel free to use it. I had mine laminated with the other one back to back. It works for me.

Attachments

• Planning Ahead.pdf
    619.9 KB · Views: 50
I don't like to make emotional presentations either. I keep them factual. But I did pull a ballsy move one time on a funeral PreNeed appointment that worked.

Like many appointments I could tell the wife was ready to sign up. Husband was not. They had today's newspaper laying nearby so I picked it up and said let me show you something. I showed them the obituary page. I pointed out that some of the obits were younger than they are. Then I said, I guarantee you that if I met with everybody on this page two days ago, half of them would have told me they want to think about it. And look where that would have gotten them.

Here are your two choices. 1. I can have you covered WHILE you think about it. Or 2. Is just NO. No thinking about it, just no. It would be crazy to not be covered while you are thinking about it.

It worked. They bought.

Yes I'm glad I read this!

As we go through this process I want us to have an agreement. If you find value in the information I share with you, it is okay to say YES. That will indicate to me that you want to move forward with the process. If on the otherhand, you see no value in the information we discuss, it is perfectly okay to say NO. You will not hurt my feelings. I only ask that we agree MAYBE/think about it/etc is not an option. Fair enough?
Great, let's take a closer look at your situation...
Best way to avoid procrastination is eliminate it with an up-front contract.

Best way to avoid procrastination is eliminate it with an up-front contract.

Good point.

Set up a value proposition that solves a problem or imporves a situation. Then get a verbal commitment to action if the problem can be solved or the situation improved.

Back